• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine trouble

xj_chef

NAXJA Forum User
i have a '93 xj, 4.0L, auto, 4x4.
my problem is hard to explain.
so if i'm running errands, i.e. starting stoping the jeep. by the third or so stop when i go to crank the jeep it acts like it doesn't want to run. when you put your foot into it, it acts like it's not getting gas and wants to stall.
i believe its a heat soak electrical issue.
thanks for the help.

After a hot start, does the roughness clear up in a minute or less?
If so, it's most likely a hot soak problem. If it doesn't clear up quickly, you have other problems.

Heat soak is the result of excess heat boiling the gas in the injector fuel rail, usually when parked after a hot run in hot weather..
It is the same as vapor lock. Once the engine is running, the injectors must expel all the vapor before the engine will run cleanly.
It is most common in 2000-2001 XJ, equipped with the two heat-producing mini-cats, located in the engine bay.

Here is a recent post I made on reducing or eliminating the hot soak problem I have experienced, see message #28
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1110699&highlight=timer&page=2

It is most common in 2000-2001 XJ, equipped with the two heat-producing mini-cats, located in the engine bay.

Dont i know it!! this always happens when i stop to air up after coming off the dunes. just lay into it bit and itll cycle thru. sometimes itll actually kill my motor while its running(simce wrapping my rail and installing hood vent this rarely happens) and ill just wait it out. sometime ill poke something into that pressure valve on the rail and drain a bit out, seems to shorten the wait time but normally i couldnt care less and just enjoy the scenery for a bit.

altho the fact the urs is NOT common to have this issue raises some flags

Dont i know it!! this always happens when i stop to air up after coming off the dunes. just lay into it bit and itll cycle thru. sometimes itll actually kill my motor while its running(simce wrapping my rail and installing hood vent this rarely happens) and ill just wait it out. sometime ill poke something into that pressure valve on the rail and drain a bit out, seems to shorten the wait time but normally i couldnt care less and just enjoy the scenery for a bit.

altho the fact the urs is NOT common to have this issue raises some flags

Dune running will heat an engine as well as anything. Try adding a over-ride switch on the electric fan so stays on, when desired, and don't shut the engine down when it is very hot, let it idle until it cools. Add a high speed idle switch to increase cooling while idling.
When off-roading, I always activate the 3-minute timer that runs the electric fan when the engine is shut down. Three minutes is enough to cool the fuel rail and prevent the hot soak problem.
As mentioned in the previous link, hood vents, wrapping the bottom of the intake manifold with reflective insulation and the fan timer were the most effective fixes I have found over the last ten years.

Back