• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Child seat issues. Belt too short! Help.

Borgli

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the correct part of the forum for this;
I need to get a rear facing child seat into my 1992 XJ. Problem is that the belt is about 2 inches too short to snap in. Is there a way to maybe change out the belt for a longer one or get a longer ''bracket'' from the roof? (make the whole loop a bit shorter)

The belt needs to go all the way around the front/back of the seat and then the hip part needs to go up and over the seat itself. I tried to loop the hip into the isofix base but it was still to short. I also tried without the isofix base, but it was to wobbly for my comfort. I could secure the belt but the seat ended up slightly sideways, and Im not driving around like that!

Any advice and ideas would be great!
My wife suggested I should get a newer european or japaneese station-wagon instead since it doesn’t fit. Apparently the idea of getting a new seat never occurred ;)

I have never seen a rear facing seat where the shoulder harness had to go around the back of the seat. The lap part always goes up and over.

Are you sure that you are reading the directions correctly?

Pictures?

As an alternative, you could weld in L.A.T.C.H. supports under your seat.

I run mine in the center position with the center lap belt. first with the stay-in-the-car base, and now that he's bigger just over the top in the cutouts for the belt so he sits at the right angle. haven't had any problems.

Hi, I'll do some research on the extenders.
Can't really figure out how to post pictures here, but if you google "Stokke IZI" you can see the thing.
Maybe I can use the center strap to secure the base.

I'll try it in the morning and get back to you.

Thanks

The manual is online. What a different set up.

y7ety7yr.jpg

Doesn't look like it is LATCH compatible.

Do you have to release the seat-belt and unthread that thing every time? And then re-thread it again each time? And you have to reach over the far side of the seat to do this? Oh, my aching back.

I would go nucking futs.

Realize you are going to do this hundreds, if not thousands of times.

My vote would be for another seat.

Says the guy who is going to be celebrating the fact that before the month is out #3 will be done with the multi-point car seats and can get away with just a booster. Whoo-Hoo!!

Did you slide the seat all the way back?

He shouldn't be doing this in the front seat. If a backseat was installed at the factory, the seat has to go there, until they reach a certain age/weight, then it becomes a booster seat.

He shouldn't be doing this in the front seat. If a backseat was installed at the factory, the seat has to go there, until they reach a certain age/weight, then it becomes a booster seat.

i had assumed he was referring to the rear seat, and the diagram is a generic set-up found on-line.
i know Summit Racing sells steel seat belt extension brackets designed to shorten the length of the belt to attach it to the floor. maybe use one on the rear shoulder attachment point back in the cargo area? being in the back it shouldn't interfere with most normal activities.

Back