• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

doing a D44 swap ( rear ) should i get a locker?

MUKAK714

NAXJA Forum User
got me in like new condition D44 complete rear axle with factory LSD, took it to a local Gear shop and they said axle was recently rebuild and the clutches/bearings/gears look good and dont need to be replaced

should i keep the LSD till the clutches wear out or get a locker now? and if locker what kind? i dont wanna spend a fortune

btw i have a 89 witha 242 TC and open front diff

I'd get a selectable locker, if you can afford it. I've been daily driving a Detroit Locker for several years. It can certainly be done, but gets annoying after a while.

I just took that Dana 44 out and put a different one in with the factory LSD. I plan to put in an ARB in eventually.

There is a version of the Powertrax No Slip that fits the Spicer Trak Lok carrier but only if it is the version where the cross shaft is retained by a roll pin and not the version that uses circlips
All of the factory XJ D44s I've come across were the circlip version
I bought a No Slip for mine only to find out it wouldn't work with my carrier so, I scrounged one from an Isuzu Rodeo and couldn't be happier with the performance....smoother than the Detroit in my Bronco and WAY quieter than the Lock Rite in my Toyota
Hans

I love my grizzly in my 44.

There is a version of the Powertrax No Slip that fits the Spicer Trak Lok carrier but only if it is the version where the cross shaft is retained by a roll pin and not the version that uses circlips
All of the factory XJ D44s I've come across were the circlip version
I bought a No Slip for mine only to find out it wouldn't work with my carrier so, I scrounged one from an Isuzu Rodeo and couldn't be happier with the performance....smoother than the Detroit in my Bronco and WAY quieter than the Lock Rite in my Toyota
Hans
mine has a roll pin, its the New Style Trac-Loc right?

I would get a full case, like a Detroit or grizzly, or selectable if its in the budget. I"d say no to a lunchbox since you will need a new carrier for that.

Are running the gear ratio that you want to keep or is there a regear in your future? Replacing the carrier requires labor to reset up the proper gear pattern, so unless you have the tools and skill set to do this setup yourself, you need to factor these costs into the equation. If it's a daily driver, ARB is the way to go, Grizzley or Detroit for a more trail centric rig.

If you are going to regear it now or later, that's the time to get a locker. Unless you want a lunchbox locker, in which case just get it now.

I drove with a powertrax no-slip in the rear axle on the street and trails for 6 years. Loved it and would do it again if I could put a locker in my WJ.

Keep the LSD for now and see how it suits your uses, especially since you did not mention needing to regear. Get a locker later it doesn't work out for you.

mine has a roll pin, its the New Style Trac-Loc right?

Yes a No Slip will work then but, if you are considering regearing, I'd spend a little more and get a Detroit
The No Slips aren't all that cheap but, I got a smoking deal on mine
Hans

Back