• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird stuff after sye

AwesomeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
97 xj 4.0 ax15 np231 3in lift

So this past weekend i put in an sye. While driving home my speedo went out, i did install the retaining rings to keep speedo gear in place. I inspected it and checked the plug, all looks good. But still no signal.

Also, since the install my engine is running odd at idle and low rpms. Not bad like crap just a little rougher with more vibration into the body.

So since i overlooked the fact that i needed a v8 zj front and not an xj front shaft for the rear, i have no rear shaft hooked up. Ive ran in fwd before on this rig but this time it seems difficult to start moving from a stop and the front end wobbles when turning tight.

Any insight on my issues would be great. Thanks!

I would suggest making sure the teeth of the speedometer gear are actually biting. If they're not biting, then you're not going to get a speed reading. I had that problem with my installation.

The vibration I've experienced too. Just a little isn't too bad, but a lot could mean problems. You're dealing with a lifted vehicle with taller angles and a little vibration is just the nature of the beast sometimes. All you can do is try to get it as close to the smooth stock feeling as you can.

I'm not really sure about the other problems, but I don't think the RPM problem is related.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67260
You didn't mention your year, but yes, you have to rotate the housing properly to get it to read correctly.

speedo_out.jpg

That is what I needed for the 40-tooth I'm currently running. Yours may vary.
This is where I would start with the speedo Problem

A SYE should not have anything to do with how the engine runs..?

Btw, my jeep in now stalling when in neutral and coming to a stop or slowing down. My rpms get to 1000 then just bottom out. Im not getting any codes other than for no speedo. This is really starting to get to me. I bought this jeep and put a lot of care and detail into how it runs and drives. Now because of an sye install its acting crazy. I dont understand what the hell to do .......

Well unless you may of unhooked or bumped and thing when doing you sye, It has nothing to do with your problem. Check all wires that may have been messed with. I would check your plugs and wires. You could even have a coil pack go bad.

I had a stalling issue with my old 92, where the speedo sensor died and the jeep would stall at coming to a stop. I got the speedo working and the issue went away. The ECU increases idle as you slow to a stop (using the IAC). I'd get the speedo working THEN chase the engine functionality issues.

Make sure the VSS is clocked properly for the number of teeth on the gear. There are numbers printed on the plastic housing which are indexed by the retainer.

Pulled the vss out and inspected it. It looks good, it wasn't lined up like the one in the pic so i adjusted it to match but its still not working. Im so frustrated with this whole mess. One thing for sure, im never installing an sye myself again.
I guess ill just pay a shop to fix it after i get my rear driveline back from the shop.
Thx.

So, today i adjusted the rotation of the vss. It is reading properly and my speedo is working. But im still getting a check engine light for the vss and now these other 2 codes.

8ada8udy.jpg

Ok maybe i posted too soon. I just repulled codes and cleared CE light went off. I fired it back up and pulled codes, no codes. Jeep accelerates and runs right.
Thx for all the help gents.

No problem! Those other codes are due to the vss not reporting speed, speed is part of many calculations... Such as open/close loop mode and spark advance. P0108 on the other hand might be related to bulletin "18-08-00" but I have my doubts.

Back