• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad NSS or something else?

pipewrench

NAXJA Forum User
Today driving my jeep home on the interstate I had a CEL show up. It showed up at the exact moment I turned my cruise control off. The jeep seemed to be running good, but every few minutes it would act like it was misfiring right around 3000 rpms.

I put it in neutral to see what the rpms would do and it quickly cut off completely. I stopped on the side, it fired right back up and acted the same for another 50 miles or so. At that point it cut off completely again in a parking lot after backing out, and going back forward 20 feet or so.
It cut out a final time today after dropping a friend off. I backed up his driveway fine, went from Reverse to drive and it cut off.

Got the codes read and have the following:
P0740 Torque converter clutch circuit condition
P0121 Throttle position sensor
P0123 Throttle position sensor

I went ahead and bought a new throttle position sensor. Still had CEL after installing it and pulling battery cable.
My A/C pulley crapped out at the same time, so I haven't really driven it yet to see how things are acting. I'm bypassing A/C pulley this week.

Now for my first question. I have been reading countless threads on the NSS, seems like it could be part of my problem but it seems like it would only keep me from starting. Not actually kill the truck if it was already moving.

The fact the it has died three times, all involving manually moving the lever lead me to believe I may be on to something.

The reason I'm interested in this subject is because about two weeks ago the truck didn't want to turn over. I pushed the shifter a little further into park and it cooperated. Even if you gurus tell me its not the NSS I'll still look into it this week since it probably needs to be cleaned anyway. I bookmarked the write up.

One other clue I have to offer is I did go through a mud puddle today. Not anything too serious but it did splash water up to some of the engine bay. Again, this wasn't a water crossing by any means, just hit a puddle with some speed to get me through it.

Yet another clue is the middle throttle cable, which from my searching on here is the cruise control cable is very, very, loose. Also, after this started happening it would not go back into cruise control.

I'm guessing my next question is....could I assume that one issue is actually causing all three codes? The jeep has given me no problems until all of a sudden today. The fact that it happened the exact second I cut the cruise control off just seemed like it might help lead to the issue.

Sorry for the long post, I will be investigating this week. Once I bypass the A/C I can get it out and drive it and report back.

1999, 134k miles
4wd, Automatic
33's, 3'' lift

Well after bypassing my pulley I went for a 10 mile test drive. Seemed to run fine.
I guess a bad TPS can give all kinds of weird symptoms.

Still seems odd that it would completely die multiple times. I'll keep yall posted.

Back