• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ac clutch -another thread

robbuck

NAXJA Forum User
So I discovered my AC wasn't working, read the threads on it and went through the process. Checked fuses, pressure switches etc... I jumped the low pressure switch and checked continuity... continuity good, no clutch engagement, checked high pressure switch, same result.... so I jumped both switches... nothing... then I ran a straight line from the battery to the compressor, the clutch engaged, and blew cool air. So now, it looks like either a relay or wiring... suggestions?

Checked the fuses or tried swapping the A/C relay with a good one?

Since the compressor runs, when power is jumpered, start at the compressor and work your way back through the electrical, to the relay and dash switch until you find where the problem is. It's a PIA to do but that's how it's done.
A FSM, for your year XJ, will provide the schematic and more importantly, the wire's locations and color codes. Even with the FSM, locating wire runs can be tedious.

When you have questions, providing the year and equipment specifics of your XJ is useful and needed. There were thousands of changes to the XJ during its years of production.

Here's the layout of the '99 PDC. You may want to check fuses. The A/C Compressor Clutch relay control is fuse 10 in the JB.

99PDCREV3_26_14.jpg

Back