• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where im at vs where i wanna be

farmer xj

NAXJA Forum User
ok so this is where im at 3inch coils 3 inch rear springs i have pro comp non adjustable lower control arms and stock uppers, adjustable track bar and steering stabalizer. i have a set of 1.5-2inch adjustable shackles that im not useing currently. id like to run 33s im currently running 245/75/16s i will be switching back to 15s when i get the 33s now id like to end up at 4.5inchs and set lvl or close. what is the best way to get there ? 1.5 inch spacers in front ? and use my 2 inch shackles in rear ? or should i just get some 4.5 coils ? i found some RE4.5 coils on amazon for $70 ... spacers arent that much cheaper.. will i or should i get different upper/lower control arms ? or maybe just uppers?.
also should i switch to 15s at all ? some places the tires are 40-50 cheaper in a 15 vs a 16 and i was told i need to have more negative off set for a better fit for 33s ..however i found MTRs with kevlar for a decent price in a 265/75/16 ...

i hate the rake it has....

Last edited:
what is the best way to get there ?

i hate the rake it has....
4.5" coil, 3" leaf pack, 1.5" shackle, aftermarket adjustable uppers. Same setup I've ran for the past few years. You may also consider upgrading your track bar setup if you haven't done so already. Heavy duty adjustable track bar and relocation bracket (RE, IRO, Clayton).

Change in wheel flavor just depends on how much you like your current wheels. There's not a whole lot of "performance" differences between the two. Especially with on road driving. Pricing/tire availability is usually the biggest difference.

The rake you have may just be the result of some stiff leaf packs. Usually they'll settle down a bit overtime after they get broken in a bit. It doesn't look all that bad in my opinion.

Don't get the drop brackets they suck! Just save up and buy long arms. And yes you will want a sye also yes you can run a front shaft in the rear with no problems. I have been running one for about 5 years no problem with 4 1/2" lift.

Don't get the drop brackets they suck!

This is a matter of opinion, I've been on short arms and drop brackets at 5.5 " for years, and love it. I just built my own johnny joint short arms. Great ride, great flex....

as for your jeep, a set of lower adjustables, some drop brackets, coil spacers, shackles ( or better yet rear shackle relocation kit) and a rear sye will get you where you want, and have a very useable rig. If you dont mind trimming, I'd recommend that before any more lift!

This is a matter of opinion, I've been on short arms and drop brackets at 5.5 " for years, and love it. I just built my own johnny joint short arms. Great ride, great flex....

as for your jeep, a set of lower adjustables, some drop brackets, coil spacers, shackles ( or better yet rear shackle relocation kit) and a rear sye will get you where you want, and have a very useable rig. If you dont mind trimming, I'd recommend that before any more lift!

Ok, well I think they suck!

This is my reason.
I have the rough country drop brackets on mine. If I install my stock lower arms as they recommend in the in instructions I can't get the castor angle past 1deg. And it drives like hell! In order to get my castor angle anywhere close to 4deg I have to use my longer lower arms that are for 4 1/2" lift with no drop brackets. I also have adjust them all the way to the max adjustment which makes my wheelbase longer. This gets me close to where I need to be and it drives ok. But In order for them to work correctly I would need to put my stock lowers back on and buy adjustable uppers, Or all adjustable arms.

IMO a person would just be better off to save and buy a long arm upgrade kit. Drop brackets and a whole set of adjustable short arms are not going to save much money over a long arm upgrade kit these days.

Do not waste your time with rough country. For a little more money you can have the serious offroad long arm kit or other better quality kit. I personally prefer brackets or a removable crossmember.
What is your budget?
I believe you can get a full Full traction kit for 1500, don't quote me on that. But price is close-ish to that.

full traction does not seem to have a upgrade kit only full kits 3.5inch for $1700 or the builder kit for $1500 and it says it requires 5.5 inchs of lift to function properly. i dont need a full kit. i dont need new leafs or sway bar discos. id be happy with .5 inch spacer increase in the front and leave the rear the same but no one iv seen other then rough country has a non complete 3.5 inch LA kit.

full traction does not seem to have a upgrade kit only full kits 3.5inch for $1700 or the builder kit for $1500 and it says it requires 5.5 inchs of lift to function properly. i dont need a full kit. i dont need new leafs or sway bar discos. id be happy with .5 inch spacer increase in the front and leave the rear the same but no one iv seen other then rough country has a non complete 3.5 inch LA kit.

I know for a fact that they offer an upgrade kit. May not be on their website. You can call/email them for info/price.

Somehing wrong with your link above, but if you are referring to the Clayton y-link upgrade kit. That is a good choice. I thought about going that route.

RK 3 link upgrade is also available.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/1...oglemerchant&gclid=CMzVg_O_r70CFVBffgod5LMAcQ

I currently am running the the DBO, mid arm kit. NO complaints. Not sure what the current price is for their kit.

Last edited:
whats slowing me down the most at the moment is having a place and the right tools to do the install. im also torn between rustys LA upgrade or claytons LA upgrade... big price difference

whats slowing me down the most at the moment is having a place and the right tools to do the install. im also torn between rustys LA upgrade or claytons LA upgrade... big price difference

I like the Claytons because it's a true three link. Although Ruger81 and my brother are two people that have the rustys long arm kit and they both love them. The only thing I don't like about the Claytons long arm is its square tube. But I think it's more the looks then anything for me. I think round tube looks better.

Back