• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Bearing Assembly Bolts

ihscoutlover

NAXJA Forum User
I broke one of the three 12pt 13mm hold down bolts for my wheel bearing assembly. Are these a readily available part, or Junkyard only??

Jeff

I should mention that it is possible to replace these at least temporarily with a standard bolt with a hex head, but I do not advise leaving it there. The correct bolts are necked down where they pass through the knuckle, and if a regular bolt is left in for long, rust will accumulate and it will be impossible to remove. My son had one that was replaced wrong, and we had first to destroy the bearing unit, then torch the bolt head off, then burn the broken stub out with a torch, bit by bit, until there was a small enough piece to punch out with a drift and a sledge. All afternoon for a five minute job.

Even the correct bolts can rust if left long enough, so wipe some grease on them.

The junkyard I used to go to would usually take hubs off and just drop the bolts on the ground. If you have a friendly junkyard you might ask if you can walk around, You might find some just lying there.

Also - if you use non OEM bolts, the thread pitch is M12x1.75 and I very, very strongly recommend ISO PC 10.9 or 12.9. I forget which the factory bolts are, but ISO PC 8.8 will simply not cut it, unless you enjoy dying in a rollover accident.

I definitely appreciate the help here. I got 4 from a STL stealership. Not much more than the link posted after my initial post. Went to Fastenal, and called the stealership closest to me. Fastenal couldn't get them, local dealer had 4. Went there and some nitwit packaged the bolts they "had" incorrectly. Drove another 30 or so miles to get 4 more which were correct. $27 later and I have my new hub assembly installed, the wheel back on, and down off the jackstand and on all four matching tires.....finally. Now I need a stock late model rear driveshaft. All the yard ones are dented from being lifted lazily by yard mongers. Thanks for the replies guys.

Jeff

Back