• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Faster power windows

mjdavis31

NAXJA Forum User
Who has time to wait for a window to get down... hahaha but really ive googled it and searched on here Im lookin to make my windows fast in my searches ive found you can lubricate the tracks :shocked:... and I might look into relays direct from the batteries but out prefer to just spend some money on some billy bad a&$ window motors. if any one knows of a good way to make the windows scream please let me know. its a 96 xj

the motors are probably just getting old and tired. putting more juice to them will only make them burn up faster and chryslers are known for having window motors go out. the solution is to lube the tracks with wax or silicone spray.

Lube the tracks by dabbing grease into the open side like you would pack a wheel bearing. The main culprit for sluggish operation is the black tube at the bottom where the cable coil goes into when lowered. The tubes get plugged with hardened grease and sludge so the coil has to scrape and push through it. I cut mine off the motors and replaced them with 5/8 fuel line and a hose clamp after greasing the cable coils and packed some more grease into the new tubes. Now the windows go up and down so fast they look kind of silly.

i was going to say that! but your also going to need a child to power them!

I have the children.

They are slow.

Power windows would be faster.

Although, perhaps, I could speed things up with the addition of cattle prods in the seat cushions. :D

i was going to say that! but your also going to need a child to power them!
whats better than power windows? voice activated windows that may or may not actually listen to you or just complain!
Haha...my dad thinks he found the holy grail...crank windows and cruise control in the same Jeep.

Lube the tracks by dabbing grease into the open side like you would pack a wheel bearing. The main culprit for sluggish operation is the black tube at the bottom where the cable coil goes into when lowered. The tubes get plugged with hardened grease and sludge so the coil has to scrape and push through it. I cut mine off the motors and replaced them with 5/8 fuel line and a hose clamp after greasing the cable coils and packed some more grease into the new tubes. Now the windows go up and down so fast they look kind of silly.

Just to confirm I'm following what you are saying correctly...

So as far as lubing the tracks, you're talking about putting grease into the single track that runs vertically beneath the center of the window, right?

The hose at the bottom I definitely found and mine are hard as hell. So I'll cut them off like you did and then replace with fuel line and a hose clamp at the top. 5/8" from your post seems pretty big compared to what I saw on mine, so I cut a piece off a mic'd the inner diameter and I got .335", which is just under 11/32. The next size up is 3/8", which is .375. So I think I'll purchase 3/8" fuel line and use that following your method.

Any reason you used such a large fuel line with 5/8"?

Thanks

Last edited:
Back