• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Ford 8.8 swap

Dr.Watson

NAXJA Forum User
I suck at remembering to take pictures but I got a few on my way through.

I started out pulling an axle from the local PNP in my college town and removed everything I could that was unnecessary, including draining the differential fluid.

Then I loaded it up the Thursday night before spring break to take it home.

So we begin:

r8Me0ox.jpg

My dad helping me out, we split cutting duty.

FRiPs4H.jpg

Finally got one of those old perches off, we basically split the weld and knocked them off carefully with a sledge hammer.

xbEFlbG.jpg

qie5upZ.jpg

Mocking up new perches and shock mounts.

ejqSvJJ.jpg

Welding finished up.

XC4zjG9.jpg

S-10/XJ bastard pack. Still needing to trim the center bolts.

GemLeuv.jpg

Parts store run in the morning for everything else needed and some other parts for re-lowering the front.

1a9dBHE.jpg

Old Chrysler 8.8 out.

o0s4YHV.jpg

Getting the new axle re-hung in the Jeep. This was the hardest part for me, also what axle?

ObfhcZ9.jpg

RHpXLgj.jpg

How it sits after everything. I still have a couple things to button up, but I had to head back for school.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

I took me 7 days. I kind of decided to do it last minute, so that meant I spent some time waiting on parts. Also, I had my birthday in the middle of the week. And thank you. I was proud of my work for sure, the axle after paint and completely installed looked nearly factory :) . If I remember I will take more pictures when I have it a part for new rear shocks.

P.S. I messed up I said, "Old Chrysler 8.8 out." I of course meant 8.25

Last edited:
what rear shocks are you running?? same driveshaft?? where did you get the rear shock mounting brackets?? so for all the questions but im in the process of doing it to mine and need help.

oo and what parking brake cable did you use??
I use ZJ park brake cables on my MJ. Should work fine for XJ.

On later model XJ's with the driver side cable frame mount, ZJ driver, and KJ passenger.

Just curious as to why you're running SUA? Just to avoid axle wrap? Got something under the hood?

No gloves when using cut off wheels??? :nono: Hope you at least had safety glasses on...

SUA is an easy way to lower the back of an XJ. Which looks like OP heep is lowered. probably handles better also.

Dich

Do you have any issues with the shocks bottoming out, even with the spring under? I used my factory D35 mounts on my 8.8 and I am running a 4" lift with extended bump stops and my shocks almost bottom out.

Do you have any issues with the shocks bottoming out, even with the spring under? I used my factory D35 mounts on my 8.8 and I am running a 4" lift with extended bump stops and my shocks almost bottom out.

shouldnt be a problem with shorter shocks im just wonder WHICH ones. also used a s10 bastard pack so it should be a bit tuffer to bottom out completely

Back