• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to replace Crank Sensor in three steps! ***warning, not really***

sheepdog707

NAXJA Forum User
Step 1 - Remove Intake and Exhaust Manifolds

Step 2 - Sensor is much easier to access, now replace sensor

3u4y3yqe.jpg

Step 3 - Replace Manifolds and enjoy!

Sorry guys, hahahahaha I was replacing my header when I noticed the crank sensor that was a bitch to replace a few months ago was just chilling there mocking me.... I'm replacing that bitch, regardless.... It's almost Friday people!

Its really not hard with a few extensions. I found some at Oreillys that have a built in wobble feature that really helps.

I lol'd.

on a serious note I think I used one medium length 3/8 extension with a universal on it last time. It's doable without 4 feet of extension if you're nimble with your arms/hands.

I found it not too hard with a couple of fairly long 1/4 inch extensions, and a little piece of paper to hold the bolt in the socket when putting it back. the 1/4 inch extensions have a little flop built in. 3/8 with a wobble also work.

It's much much easier to do if you use the correct plastic dust cover, which holds the part in place.

It's also much easier if you flood the engine compartment with light.

Like most of the other folks here, I use a long extension with a universal joint. No big
deal if you take your time. The harrowing thing (for me) is that plastic cover. I almost
always nearly fumble it into the bellhousing, but now I tie a long string onto it (just in case)
and remove the string only when I have everything in place, and the CPS bolts started.

<Looking at pic in first post>

Yup! That sensor would be really easy to replace right now!

I'm sure someone will find that picture really handy since the lil bugger is so darn hard to see otherwise.

I replaced both of mine at the same time. First one wasn't fun. 2nd wasn't so bad because I'd figured out what wrenches to use and how to hold my mouth so it all worked.

Just be careful. Last time I replaced a manifold, it was on my very rusty old 99 with 275 thousand miles on it. I got everything lined up, and started torquing, and heard a "snap." Somehow, the intake manifold had slipped partway off one of the locating pegs, and cracked. End of manifold, and, as it happens, owing to immediate need of a vehicle to travel two thousand miles reliably within the week, end of XJ. Double check that that intake manifold has stayed seated.

I honestly would leave the stock sensor till it dies. I've had them go 250k+, and others have had parts store replacement sensors either be DOA or fail very quickly...

If you do replace it, put the original in the glovebox as a spare, along with an 11mm socket, a ujoint, 2-3 feet of extensions, and a ratchet.

I can do a CPS in around ten minutes on the side of the road with a hot engine, so I am not sure I'd bother either way. It's all in the tricks... lie parallel to the rocker panel with your head behind the front left tire and your feet toward the back of the vehicle, use your left arm up and over the outside of the front driveshaft (keeps you away from the exhaust manifold) to guide the socket onto the bolt while using the right hand to run the ratchet. The little plastic blockoff plate that slides into the hole in the bellhousing is good for one thing, which is keeping the mounting bolts from falling inside the bellhousing. If one falls in... do not under any circumstances start or turn over the vehicle (aside from perhaps bumping the starter with the coil unplugged to jostle the bolt out of wherever it's hiding) until you have convinced it to come back out. I've seen them put a hole in the bellhousing before when the bolt jammed in a bad spot.

Back