• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PSC steering pump (require upgrade resevoir)?

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys.

I know you can get the PSC steering pump with (PS-1205R) or without (PS-1205) the reservoir. My question is can you re-use the stock reservoir or get a new stock design?

I can't justify spending as much for the aluminum reservoir as the damn pump. If it will help to maintain pressure, being aluminum, then is arguable but other than that, is it necessary for optimal performance/longevity?

found the pump here:

http://www.tricountygear.com/produc...gh-performance-replacement-pump-w-o-reservoir

and the pump plus reservoir here:

http://www.tricountygear.com/produc...ormance-replacement-pump-w-aluminum-reservoir

TIA

Call PSC they wont give you bad advice for the sale.
As John said less volume on a pump that pushes more volume.

what do you plan on doing with your rig? assist cylinder?

the oem plastic reservoirs don't do well once you start pushing a ram in the rocks.

Rockclimber what issues have you seen? Most of my friends are running stock reservoirs and some even running the stock pump with their rams with no issues. One is even a daily driver.

Rockclimber what issues have you seen? Most of my friends are running stock reservoirs and some even running the stock pump with their rams with no issues. One is even a daily driver.

cracking. mostly where the resi seals to the pump.

plastic fatigue, increased heat in the system due to assist.

it may not happen to you, but it is a risk.

if you are successfully running a stock pump with ram assist, then chances are you aren't pushing the rig that hard.

cracking. mostly where the resi seals to the pump.plastic fatigue, increased heat in the system due to assist.
Are you running a steering cooler and still having cooling problems? If so, get a bigger cooler and add a fan.
Can't say I have seen any problems with the plastic reservoir.
For the price of the $250 aluminum reservoir ($50more than the cost of the pump), you could build one heck of a steering cooling system... but it wouldn't look as sharp.

Re: Re: PSC steering pump (require upgrade resevoir)?

if you are successfully running a stock pump with ram assist, then chances are you aren't pushing the rig that hard.

Oh that's just mean haha. But in all seriousness one has an inline cooler but none of us are trying to move mountains with the ram.

Thanks for the warnings. We will watch for that. But yeah, $250 is a ton of money.

A cooler is necessary no matter what.

But you are still going to see increased heat when you start running in the rocks.

I run a large cooler on my setup, but I got rid of the oem pump a long time ago. My cooler sits in front of the aux fan.

I went to a P-pump with an integrated metal reservoir from PSC when I upgraded to the large bore box. Rather than the oem style pump and the remote reservoir.

Back