• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock advice

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
Right now I'm at 2.5" with 158 lb/ in spring rate in front w/ Prothane 3.5" coil inserts, JK rubi shocks, bastard pack rear & progressive poly bumps in back.
Whole rig needs stiffer legs under it. It bounces, mostly in front, going over any sustained bumps or anything with a good dip & rise to it. Also wobbles a bit while turning in.
So I'm looking at the Bilstein 5100s, 6100s, etc - whatever will firm things up.
Most I'm expecting to grow to is maybe a 4" lift but I want to maximize what I've got. More interested in going fast (within limitations of what I've got) than rock crawling.
In the past I've run Monroe Sensatrac, JK Rubi / Red, JK Regular / Black, Bilstein 4600s (yellow body stock heigh shock) and factory XJ stuff. None of them felt stiff enough for what I want from the vehicle.
So what's my shock?

Progressive spring or something with a higher rate will help. Are you running aftermarket swaybar links/disco's?
I am running a pair of the Bolt-in 10" travel 5100's ( I think are advertised as 4-6" lift), with Tomken 4" coils. Currently without swaybar. Rides nice, but do admit that the front could be a little stiffer (maybe due to no swaybar, but a firmer shock will help that). I can drive down torn up streets and whoops with no issues.
I would recommend 5100's at a min.

I'm running stock sway bar & links.
Are the fox 2.0 smooth body shocks any good? Can't afford the remote reservoir units..

Last edited:
Fox 2.0's are rebuild able and therefore you can add or remove shims to get the ride you want. I'll never buy another non rebuild able shock again.

Fox 2.0's are rebuild able and therefore you can add or remove shims to get the ride you want. I'll never buy another non rebuild able shock again.

This.. so buy them. The only way I see you needing resi's are for fast offroad action with larger tires otherwise you'll be fine.

7100 non-resi is about same price as the 2.0. I would check out poly performance.

something rebuildable.

I was happy with my 7100s.

switching to fox 2.0s

Love my Fox 2.0s

I think the coils are too soft too.

I'd look at PAC or Deaver coils, progressive, in a 200 or 250 spring rate.

Isn't the RE 3.5" spring at about #240 per inch? If so, it seems like a bargain at $75 / pair on Amazon...
Or is the progressive rate spring that much better?

Isn't the RE 3.5" spring at about #240 per inch? If so, it seems like a bargain at $75 / pair on Amazon...
Or is the progressive rate spring that much better?

I keep hearing they are 240, but my experience says that inaccurate.

I went from the RE 4.5 ZJ coils (stiffer than the 3.5 xj coils) to the deavers, and they were *way* stiffer.

The Deavers are supposed to be 245 and go up to 280 progressive, but we had them tested at 261 at full bump.

If I had to guess, I'd say the RE's are probably closer to 200, maybe less.

Again, quality springs are worth every penny.

I keep hearing they are 240, but my experience says that inaccurate.
I went from the RE 4.5 ZJ coils (stiffer than the 3.5 xj coils) to the deavers, and they were *way* stiffer.
The Deavers are supposed to be 245 and go up to 280 progressive, but we had them tested at 261 at full bump.
If I had to guess, I'd say the RE's are probably closer to 200, maybe less.

Again, quality springs are worth every penny.
I also think the RE 240 #'s are high.
I had the RE springs on mine and my Heep was way soft. Any off camber would lean like crazy. Swapped in the Deaver coil springs and that made a HUGE improvement. much more stable, and still rides great.

Or Full Traction's 4 link...
I have to wonder if it's worth 6x the money as drop brackets but damn, it's sexy.
Starting to figure out the next phase for the Jeep, just weeks after finishing the last one. :doh:

Back