• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauges not working

cixty8

NAXJA Forum User
1995 XJ
Auto
148,000 miles

My Father passed away two years ago and I kept his jeep. I decided to get it up and running again. I changed the battery, alternator, serpentine belt, oil change, oil pressure sending unit (broke off when removing the oil filter), repaired the headliner, replaced the wipers and gave her a good wash.

My issue is the instrument panel. it illuminates when the lights are on but nothing works (speedometer, odometer, tachometer, oil pressure, engine temp and gas gauge). Also affected is the radio and cigarette lighter. The warning light for low washer fluid is illuminated even though its filled to the top.

I checked the fuses under the dash (drivers side) number 17 (7.5) was burnt out, replaced it. I checked the fuses in the Power distribution center in the engine compartment and I disconnected the pcm sensor and turned the key to position one to see if the gauges would come to life.....nothing.

I removed the cluster at the wire/tape/circuit board appears ok. There are little rust spots on the transistors but nothing major.
rymu8u5u.jpg

Right now I'm using an app on my phone to tell me how fast I'm going and the distance traveled...already ran out of gas the other night.

Thank you in advance for your help

Steve

The only thing I can think of they may all share is the ground. Likely to be one of the grounds near the ignition coil.

The radio and the cigar lighter may be another issue. Maybe fuse 2 in the fuse block, maybe something in the PDC.

The ground for the cluster is the braided cable in the engine compartment that goes from the head to the firewall.

The ground for the cluster is the braided cable in the engine compartment that goes from the head to the firewall.

No. That grounds the block to the body. The engine also has several other ground points though.

Back