• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender Marker lights for us fender flare guys.

Djmack

NAXJA Forum User
So, I recently moved to Germany and brought my jeep with me. I've noticed that everyone here has fender/flare marker turn signals. including the euro xj's. Being someone who can't own a bone stock vehicle for long, I decided to go above and beyond with some ideas for lights. I've Photoshopped my ideas together to give, what i think is, a great example of what i'm trying to do.

It's very hard to search for an LED bolt online with the proper bolt length and diameter. I'm trying to keep it professional looking, and something that doesn't "pop" out when the led's aren't illuminated.

[Hopefully GIF Animations work on here]

interesting...guessing your at ramstein afb.

more lights

It's strictly a turn signal, nothing else.

Looks like a Christmas tree. But seriously, that might be a little overkill for a turn signal. What if you only used a few lights on the fender flare instead of all of them?

No it's not. It is a light device, added to the vehicle that has never been available that way from the manufacturer. If you add lights to your vehicle in Germany, they have to fullfill some criteria.

1. It has to match the general law about motorvehicles in public traffic, called StVZO (Strassenverkehrszulassungsordnung)...nice word, ain't it? :laugh:

This would be the case, because turn signals are allowed to be on each corner of the vehicle (iirc up to 3 on each corner), on each fender and on each sidemirror. They also have to match a certain hight, i think...not too low, not too high.

BUT in addition to that:

2. EVERY light device, that's added to the vehicle and was not that way stock, has to be authorized by the federal or the european office for motor traffic (called Kraftfahrtbundesamt). So the cover and glass of every light device in europe and germany has a small E in a circle and a Number next to it stamped on or...dont know how its called..."casted in".
That is called "E-Prüfzeichen" (E-approval-mark). Even the lights on factory stock vehicles have to have them!
If there is no "E-Prüfzeichen" on a light device (additional high beams, fog lights, backup lights, addtional turn signals) it is not allowed to have it installed on your vehicle.

So to have the setup you have shown above legal, every single LED would have to be equipped with that E-approval-mark.

Of course the police doesn't look at every lamp and housing at cars all the time, but your idea is very uncommon and likely to draw a lot of attention to it. So the Polizei will notice it and, jeeperjohn is absolutely right, they may not like it. Mainly because it might be confusing for others and not be clearly realized as a turn signal at all.

So why is it all so complicated? Well...like in every other country in the world, there is a certain ammount of retarded idiots running around, refusing to use there brains in any way. Now imagine one of those would be allowed to add whatever lights he would like to his car. The opposing traffic would love that.
And because the amount of retarded idiots around here is not that small, the rules for vehicles and traffic sadly have to be very strict.

But still much is possible...my XJ is modded quiet a bit (as to see in the international chapter) and still everything is legal...

Ok that was a lot of text and a lot of information about german traffic law, that won't be of any use for most of you. But before Djmack puts a huge amount of work in something, that just will get him pulled out by the police and maybe pay a few hundred euros of fine, it might be better he knows that it won't be legal in public traffic.

Best regards from Bavaria! :paperwork

Well, to put this out there, nothing on my jeep is euro approved. My tail lights are super bright leds. My reverse lights are in the hatch, my head lights are h4 conversions. And all my front lights have been converted to leds. It all passed inspection with no issue.

I've already orders two different pairs of led light bolts for trial. If they can support the weight of the fender flare, I might buy more.

And again, Jeeperjohn is right. I totally forgot about the special status of vehicles owned by US military personnel.

But still it will attract the cop's attention, and might increase the risk of annoying and unnecessary police controls.

Well, to put this out there, nothing on my jeep is euro approved. My tail lights are super bright leds. My reverse lights are in the hatch, my head lights are h4 conversions. And all my front lights have been converted to leds. It all passed inspection with no issue.

Ok... but still everything you mentioned provides a regular working light installation, as everybody is used to see in traffic. If you install that "the circus is in town" fenderflare LEDs, that will be a confusing and distracting element on your car, so still.....the Polizei won't like it.

Anyway: I think it would look way better and would be more usefull if you only replace for example the lowest two bolts with LED ones. The idea by itself is nice however.

Being that vehicles have to pass the German inspection I doubt the sofa has allowances for blinkers.

One sec I'll find a gold star.

hmm best I could do
:01of5:

I drive through town and notice Everyone noticing me.

Haha....i know exactly what you're talking about.

My XJs don't fit into a regular german street scene either. :laugh:

(The blue 94' and the red 99' are mine...the green 01' is a friend's rig.)

P1000035_zps27532569.jpg

20130810_123900_zps988a6e35.jpg

Re: Re: Fender Marker lights for us fender flare guys.

Haha....i know exactly what you're talking about.

My XJs don't fit into a regular german street scene either. :laugh:

(The blue 94' and the red 99' are mine...the green 01' is a friend's rig.)

P1000035_zps27532569.jpg

20130810_123900_zps988a6e35.jpg

where in Germany are you?

Back