• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Super Shorty SYE np231 from JB Conversions

OzzyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought an HD Super Shorty SYE from JB Conversions. At the same time, I purchased an AX15 from Novak, along with their cable shifter for the transfer case. When I was installing everything the other day, I needed to shift my new transfer case into 2 High so I could link up my new shifter linkage. I tried simply moving the lever with my hand, but it wouldn't budge, so then I tried taking some wire, threading it through the hole in the shift lever and then pulling on the wire. No dice.

Transfer case came shipped in Neutral. I filled the case with Royal Purple synthetic ATF. Both my driveshafts are bolted on. The rear is a Tatton custom shaft that I ordered for this project. 37 1/8" and fits like it should. Just for history's sake, there is a new clutch kit, pressure plate, flywheel, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing.

My thinking on the issue was that I need to start the XJ up, leaving the TCase in Neutral. Shift my transmission into gear and allow it to warm up the insides of my transfer case, lubing everything up at the same time. Then, kill the engine, hop out and again try to shift the thing.

Anybody else out there in the ether had the same, or similar issues? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Ozzy

It should be able to be shifted even if it is dry but it is easier with fluid in it. I would try turning the rear yoke while trying to move the lever. If it won't move then there must be some kind of internal issue.

On my several year old 231 from JB conversions, I had to use a wrench on the t-case shift lever to move it. I could not move it by hand.

By the way, when installing the bracket on the T-case for the Novak cable shifter, make very sure the bolts have sufficient threads engaging the T-case. Mine seemed to go in and tighten, but my first trip out, they pulled the threads out. Novak says the T-case holes are deep, so go with a 1/2" longer bolt on the bracket mounts. After I did that, I've had no further issue.

David Bricker / SYR

On my several year old 231 from JB conversions, I had to use a wrench on the t-case shift lever to move it. I could not move it by hand.

By the way, when installing the bracket on the T-case for the Novak cable shifter, make very sure the bolts have sufficient threads engaging the T-case. Mine seemed to go in and tighten, but my first trip out, they pulled the threads out. Novak says the T-case holes are deep, so go with a 1/2" longer bolt on the bracket mounts. After I did that, I've had no further issue.

David Bricker / SYR

Great to know. I may go back and re-tighten them with longer bolts and some good old Red Loctite. Thanks for all the help, David!

Back