• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LUGGING AT FREEWAY SPEED

oldskool67

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced both my front and rear vacuum harness and my CCV fittings / hose on my 89. I removed the old CCV hose and stupidly drove the jeep around the block with it removed. It was stuttering and making noise like there was back pressure on the motor. I parked it and put the new CCV on when it arrived the next day. When I started it up and drove around town it ran fine. When I take it on the freeway I can hear a deep noise that is similar to what it was doing before. Its hard to describe but it seems like its back pressure. It doesn't seem to have any loss of power and only makes this noise at freeway speed. Did I screw something up running it with the CCV hose off ? Thanks for any suggestions.

I doubt the CCV is going to make much difference how the motor is going to run at freeway speeds. It may mess with your idle some. Running without it is doubtful to hurt anything in the short term.

I'd check and adjust the TPS. Paying special attention to the ground wire. The TPS has a lot to do with the timing, ground issues for the TPS are common.

If it just happens on a warm motor and runs better with a cold motor I'd look at the O2 sensor.

How is your CAT? Has it been making noises like a tin can full of rocks lately? If the Cat innards disintegrate the ceramic dust and chunks a plug up the screen. plugged up CT will do what you describe.

Is your air filter oil soaked?

Thanks for the reply. No oil in the air filter. My CAT is not making any noise, and the engine sounds normal when revved in neutral. It only seems to be doing this when under load on the freeway. I was going to replace the TPS anyway, so we will see what happens.

Back