• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

adjustable height tire carrier?

VAhasnoWAVES

NAXJA Forum User
ive come to the conclusion that the only place ill be happy with my spare tire is in on a rear tire carrier. in the past, i had a C4x4 tire carrier. but the problem i had was that the tire was too low. whenever in a steep situation, the tire would drag, and i was always afraid of plowing it through my hatch glass coming down in reverse. now that im on larger tires, the problem would only be worse.

i dont mind losing a little rear view, but i am hoping not to take up the entire rear glass with my spare. so... IDEALLY... im looking to build something that i can position low for street use, but locate higher come wheeling time. id like it to be relatively easy to relocate, at the most with the help of a buddy, but i dont want it to rattle either.

ive thought of a few designs, but nothing that satisfies both of my requirements. has anyone built something like this?

At first, i scoffed at the idea, but it started to bug me so i thought maybe something with 2 mounts, a hi and lo, with enough room between them that when you mount on the lower, the upper mount sits as close to your tire as possible... maybe integrate a low profile led 3rd brake light into the top mount... You'd probably want to angle the hi mount in to fallow the angle of the hatch glass... forgot about that.

Heres a pic i drew during with my midnight pizza. Dont mind the tapatio stains.
G9ncCML.jpg

That's probably the easiest/quickest solution. There was someone on here that built one using a single mount that could locate high or low, and used a gas strut from the rear hatch to provide an assist in raising it, if i'm not mistaken.

At first, i scoffed at the idea, but it started to bug me so i thought maybe something with 2 mounts, a hi and lo, with enough room between them that when you mount on the lower, the upper mount sits as close to your tire as possible... maybe integrate a low profile led 3rd brake light into the top mount... You'd probably want to angle the hi mount in to fallow the angle of the hatch glass... forgot about that.

Heres a pic i drew during with my midnight pizza. Dont mind the tapatio stains.
G9ncCML.jpg
lol. someone was up later than i was.

following the hatch glass would be nice. adding an angle might actually make a 2 mount tire carrier usable, clearing the tire in both positions.

That's probably the easiest/quickest solution. There was someone on here that built one using a single mount that could locate high or low, and used a gas strut from the rear hatch to provide an assist in raising it, if i'm not mistaken.
i feel like i remember seeing that one. but for the life of me cant find it or remember how he got his adjustment.

I just gave up on the rear view. My work van has no windows in back and i have yet to back into anything. Use the side mirrors. I just pulled my rear view mirror so I could install my CB and Scanner there.

Back