• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ID a steering box / will be used for hydro

CAJJ93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Trying to buy a box off this guy to use for hydro assist. I was going to use a YJ box. If I'm going to send a box to westtexasoffroad it might as well have 4 holes right?

This box has been on his YJ since he bought the jeep. I searched the part # engraved in the box but nothing really came up.

His texts:
Big 76 cast into the body under the piston.
It looks like 79' GM car or truck, but it's a OEM Saginaw not aftermarket
I believe it's an 800 series box from a 74-77 GM vehicle. There's a bunch of info about doing hydro assist on them. They also supposedly came stock on some YJ's, the 800 series is supposed to be a stronger box."

Here is the link I found on the 800 series box. YJ isn't listed
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1964-...ing-Box-13-16-Inch-36-Spline-Input,33037.html

Last edited:
bump?

I guess I'm gonna go snag this box and try it out. I'm going to send it to westtexasoffroad for a rebuild and to get tapped.
plans are to run a WJ pump and the redneck ram I've got sitting in my garage. I think it's a 1.5x8
any last advice? or should I just stop overthinking this

throw a pitman arm on it and determine how many turns lock to lock, also, what is the bore off the thing? the "butt" of the box, not sure what you call it, use a tape to measure it? ? at least then you can rule a few things.

Just go and get a 1998-99 Dodge Durango steering box, then have it taped for hydro. The box has upgraded guts and still is the same mounting pattern. You can use the YJ as a core since most can't even tell they are different.

its only 3 bolt, for some reason some of them have less turns lock to lock, it's variable ratio, etc. I was not a fan of my durango gear box at all

it was a 98 V8 non plow 4x4 dodge durango box. nothing special about it. I went and picked up this YJ box for $50

Back