• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ideas? - Noise after 3.5 inch lift

bentroia

NAXJA Forum User
Your help to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

I just installed a 3.5 inch suspension on my 97 XJ. Included are: rear old man emu springs and shocks, front OME springs and shocks and a 1.75 inch coil spacer, jks disconnects, jks trackbar. jks lower arms, OME steering stabilizer, 31x10.50 goodyear adventure at 32 psi.

It makes a low level clunking noise only when traveling over uneven bumpy surfaces (cracked-uneven asphalt). IT occurs at all speeds form what I can tell. The sound is more prevalent on the passenger side and can be felt in the floor. it is silent on smooth surfaces. It is also silent on bigger bumps (driveway ect).

The Jeep was silent before I installed the suspension.

It has not been aligned yet (tomorrow). Ball joints look okay, I replaced the one closest to the pitman.

Anti-seized all the bolts and cranked tight to spec. The shocks are nice and tight top and bottom. All the zerks on the new parts are charged with grease as well as all the ball joints.

What should I test/crank on? Thanks for your ideas.

Are the JKS disconnects new or used?

I recommend isolating variables, one at a time, and driving it around the block after each tick.
Are your jam nuts (LCA, UCA, track bar) all tight?
LCA bolts torqued to spec?
JKS discos are all tight? Try disco'ing them and drive around the block - noise gone? Still there?
Track bar bolt torqued to spec on both ends?
Something is probably loose here, so I recomend going over each and every fastener you touched and checking with a torque wrench for what's wrong. Time consuming but it works.
Also, look for any recently scuffed paint - sometimes you get witness marks where things are hitting each other.

Hey man I had the same exact problem, turns out it was my O2 sensor hitting my floor on deceleration, due to high centering and bending my exhaust up. Most likely not your problem but worth a shot. I also recommend having someone else drive while you crawl around and listen, I can't tell you how many times I've sworn something was rattling up front only to find the real problem in the back of the truck.

Same lift exactly, same problem exactly. My track bar wasn't tight on the passenger side. Found it by moving the steering wheel VERY quickly and hard side to side while parked in the garage with someone underneath looking it over. Was loose again AFTER I had it aligned. Double check their work and hold them to it.

Excellent input! Thank you very much. All the parts are new, including the JKS discos. It still makes the noise with them disconnected. I will roll around and re-torque everything.. 1ST focus on track bar...

I have narrowed this down to the brand new JKS lower control arms. Under braking the knocking/clunking in nearly eliminated. A buddy evaluating form outside of the XJ as it rolled slowly being braked and released over uneven surfaces identified it as the lower control arms. I pumped them full of grease again, until the zerks emitted grease upon release of the gun and THEY STILL KNOCK..

This is not a slight or intermittent noise. An any uneven pavement surface they knock and clunk significantly making occupants feel as if a wheel is gonna fall off.

Any ideas besides replacement?

I have gone over every suspension and steering bolt two or three times (all are tightened to or above spec). Removed shocks and discos - noise remained, and am now down to this.

Do a good inspection of all 8 control arm bushings.. That's where "I" would focus on..

Do you still have your old control arms? Swap them in, touch NOTHING else, and see how it goes. If you can tell JKS that you've done this (after torquing bolts & jam nuts of course) and it fixed your problem, they should be willing to stand behind their product. Especially with what they charge...

Back