• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Over the knuckle/ steering systems

XJROMEO

NAXJA Forum User
Alright! I'm gonna start the a common controversy. I've got about 8" of lift in the jeep and I need a new steering system bad so I want to know what people think. everything from over the knuckle to the Currie system. Gimme opinions!!

Start slicing off your left nut, and pony up for a Currie...looking at the pictures Brandon showed me of your current setup. you really need to raise your axle side track bar mount Up, and probably build a new trackbar mount right away. I think somebody here ran the bracket im talking about for the axle side. maby they can chime in.

Bronze.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Over the knuckle/ steering systems

Start slicing off your left nut, and pony up for a Currie...looking at the pictures Brandon showed me of your current setup. you really need to raise your axle side track bar mount Up, and probably build a new trackbar mount right away. I think somebody here ran the bracket im talking about for the axle side. maby they can chime in.

Bronze.

So the Currie systems aren't over the knuckle right?? And they say they are only rated up to 4" of lift. From what I read.

The currie setup is a bad idea for you lift height. Look into some kind of crossover steering. I have been running the IRO kit for almost a year now with no issues. Drives great. A great kit that is almost bolt on. I'm at almost 8" of lift too.

The currie setup is a bad idea for you lift height. Look into some kind of crossover steering. I have been running the IRO kit for almost a year now with no issues. Drives great. A great kit that is almost bolt on. I'm at almost 8" of lift too.

I looked at that and contemplated it!! So you aren't having any issue's at all huh??

I looked at that and contemplated it!! So you aren't having any issue's at all huh??

No, it's been great. Install was easy with only drilling. No need to relocate the trac bar like with a lot of other OTK setups. Drive it daily and don't even use a stabilizer.

No, it's been great. Install was easy with only drilling. No need to relocate the trac bar like with a lot of other OTK setups. Drive it daily and don't even use a stabilizer.

Wait.. you didn't have to drop your trac bar down?? Cause of the joints or what?

No. I have the IRO trac bar with the drop bracket. But with most other setups, I believe you will need to raise the axle side of the trac bar. Relocate it over the axle to correct the geometry. You want the trac bar to be parallel with the drag link.

you can run a Currie OTK, you would need to drill and either ream or install tapered inserts. I have seen it done. maby a drop pitman arm and you would be good to go. I almost did the heim/dom, but after seeing many loosen up on the pass side, I stayed away from it. heim's are not street legal either. BUT I have had all sorts of adjustment issues and worn parts with the rufstuff panhard and JCR otk TRE system.

its kind of a crap shoot. Currie is a true bolt on part, that takes no modifications to install, and is tried and true Quality stuff (that's why you pay for it) but at your lift height you've got more geometry to deal with.

Bronze.

you can run a Currie OTK, you would need to drill and either ream or install tapered inserts. I have seen it done. maby a drop pitman arm and you would be good to go. I almost did the heim/dom, but after seeing many loosen up on the pass side, I stayed away from it. heim's are not street legal either. BUT I have had all sorts of adjustment issues and worn parts with the rufstuff panhard and JCR otk TRE system.

its kind of a crap shoot. Currie is a true bolt on part, that takes no modifications to install, and is tried and true Quality stuff (that's why you pay for it) but at your lift height you've got more geometry to deal with.

Bronze.

I think I'm gonna give the jcr 1 ton a shot. I've gotta find the right panhard brackets to install though. I'm lost on what I'm gonna need for it.

just order the full panhard bar kit from rufstuff. it comes with everything you will need. once in hand I can give a couple pointers on the install.

Bronze.

Did you get the kit that welds to the front of the axle or the one that is centered on the axle? Also on the frame side it has a option for inner frame or am outer frame mount. I'm assuming it'll be an inner frame mount??

Did you get the kit that welds to the front of the axle or the one that is centered on the axle? Also on the frame side it has a option for inner frame or am outer frame mount. I'm assuming it'll be an inner frame mount??

I did axle offset on the axle side, and for the body side I did frame "outside" I have a big pass side 3link bracket in there, so I wanted to go with the offset bracket for more room.

Bronze.

heres some pics from my build

S7300161.jpg

S7300164.jpg

S7300166.jpg

S7300165.jpg

the UCA tower on the axle you see has been changed out to a large bracket. I was having problems with it... hope it helps man. grab my # from mikey if you need to get a hold of me through out the project.

I did axle offset on the axle side, and for the body side I did frame "outside" I have a big pass side 3link bracket in there, so I wanted to go with the offset bracket for more room.

Bronze.

heres some pics from my build

S7300161.jpg

S7300164.jpg

S7300166.jpg

S7300165.jpg

the UCA tower on the axle you see has been changed out to a large bracket. I was having problems with it... hope it helps man. grab my # from mikey if you need to get a hold of me through out the project.

Thanks john! Just pm your number if ya want!!

Back