• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full Ram first timer...

90xj_zach

NAXJA Forum User
I've done research but figured I'd still ask some questions for insurance. Questions which probably have obvious answers to anyone who has done this one time.

What does the small line at the top of my reservoir go?

Here I have the Out, In, and Aux. They gave me a plug, which has the same threads as the "out" and "aux" port. I was a bit confused as to which one the plug should go in? I'm going to be running a cooler and am not sure which line should run through it. Also, I'm aware of the helpful diagram below but it won't exactly follow my setup because I dn't have a relief valve.

129_0611_02_z+hydraulic_steering_tech+hydraulic

Seriously amateur questions, thanks for the help.

My Aux is for my hydroboost so plug that.
The Out provides the most volume for the pump.
Pretty sure the top is for a breather my psc kit didn't come with that line for it I just slapped a breather filter on it.

My Aux is for my hydroboost so plug that.
The Out provides the most volume for the pump.
Pretty sure the top is for a breather my psc kit didn't come with that line for it I just slapped a breather filter on it.
Thank you sir. Yea that top line is only a 1/4", so I would think that is all it could be used for.
Although I don't see how much line I really need. The reservoir is going to be the highest point and I won't even have a hood over it.

Are you supposed to run teflon tape when threading these two fitting together?

Yeah I have to go through my hood =(
I didn't use teflon I have no leaks pretty sure AN fittings don't need it. I taped the reservoir fittings though.

The ones you have in already.

Ahh they should be fine I probably didn't either if it has a ring. =)

The barb fittings are fine without clamps.
Make sure you have a cooler in your setup.

Looks like mine didn't have orings, could just be because it's newer. They made some aesthetic changes too.

Last edited:
go out of the steering box into a cooler then back to the reservoir. out of the reservoir into the pump, out of the pump into the box.

no teflon tape on -AN fittings. those with o-rings shouldn't need it either.

use the plug on the aux unless you have hydroboost.

the top fitting/hose is a breather.

you shouldn't need hose clamps on the barbs if you use high quality hose, but they won't hurt anything. I run them on all my barb fittings for extra security.

I would throw those pushloc hose ends that come with it in the spare parts bin, and use a socketed AN fitting/hose system like speed or swivel seal. Hose clamps are for stock lines, not AN stuff.

I would throw those pushloc hose ends that come with it in the spare parts bin, and use a socketed AN fitting/hose system like speed or swivel seal. Hose clamps are for stock lines, not AN stuff.

the return is low pressure. pushloc will be fine, even without a hose clamp if you use quality hose.

What is the best way to get the ram mocked up and tacked on? It is a single ended ram with about 7/8" of the shaft sticking out (seems bottomed out). It will not stay extended for mock up.

First you need to figure out how much travel your steering has and if you need to put a spacer in the ram. For example if you have an 8" ram and your steering throw is 7.5", you need to put an internal spacer of about 3/4" in. You want the ram travel slightly less so it stops before you hit the steering stops (ram pressing on steering stops = broken knuckle and/or bent parts). Once you have that figured out and put in a spacer if necessary then you can mock it up.

Find the dead center of the steering throw and mark it/align with something static (I made a mark on the tierod and clamped a straight edge on the axle to line it up) so you know if it moves off of center. Then extend the ram all the way and mark the center of the travel and set the ram to it's center. From there it's a matter of figuring out where and how it will fit. Once you think you found a location, run through the full travel and see if anything interferes. I made a mock up of the axle mount using carboard on mine to help see how I needed to mount, took some trial and error. Unthread the heims a bit so you have some adjustment both ways when you are mocking up. Here's a pic of mine if it helps:

Thanks for the reply. My setup will be similar to your pic. The line circled in orange go to the right port in the orbital, blue circle go to left port?

Back