• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New carrier, Set pinion again?

DrRandy

NAXJA Forum User
Just installed a front waggy 44 with lockouts with the TNT truss. Got cheap and welded the diff instead of getting a locker. Turns like hell now....I'm getting a new carrier and locker. (Old carrier is shot....it was welded)

Question: will I have to set the pinion again just by installing a new carrier? I'll use the same ring gear same shims. I will of course use new bearings.

Thanks!

you will probably be OK. but, you will need to run a pattern to see pinion depth is at. Im sure its obvious but make sure you get BL dialed in.

Thanks guys. I'll Check the pattern and see what I've got. As for BL if I just put the same shims back in same spots think it'll need to be adjusted? Reason is b/c I don't set up gears (never have) got a buddy that did these...I totally trust him so I know they were done right like 30 miles ago! Seriously. just not on this carrier.

Last edited:
Yeah, you will need to reset backlash and carrier bearing preload. Unless you got very lucky and the new carrier and old carrier had exactly the same width and deck height.

^^gotcha. Thanks!

Back