• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Semi custom HVAC?

WarGin

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched but can't really find anything pertaining to xjs exactly.
The previous owner really messed up the hvac system on my 84 Wagoneer (2.5 5 speed).
First off, there's random splices everywhere, and I beleive the blower switch has melted as it only works on high.
The cabin recirculating door has seizures and then opens/closes randomly, working after I hit a bump and closing and clicks a lot when I hit others.
I think the blend door either doesn't work or gets hung up.
When driving with the fan off I get freezing cold air blowing through the vents.
Oh, and the AC compressor either has a seized clutch or is just shot, so the AC has never worked.

So my question is, has anyone ever gutted the dash to get rid of all the vacuum and servo BS behind the dash and go for something a little more simple (ie works)?
I've seen the kits for hot rods that come with absolutely everything, compressor evaporator heater core etc , but they run at least 800 bucks.
I want to try and go for the same result but using what exists on the jeep.
Any ideas?

I've searched but can't really find anything pertaining to xjs exactly.
The previous owner really messed up the hvac system on my 84 Wagoneer (2.5 5 speed).
First off, there's random splices everywhere, and I beleive the blower switch has melted as it only works on high.
The cabin recirculating door has seizures and then opens/closes randomly, working after I hit a bump and closing and clicks a lot when I hit others.
I think the blend door either doesn't work or gets hung up.
When driving with the fan off I get freezing cold air blowing through the vents.
Oh, and the AC compressor either has a seized clutch or is just shot, so the AC has never worked.

So my question is, has anyone ever gutted the dash to get rid of all the vacuum and servo BS behind the dash and go for something a little more simple (ie works)?
I've seen the kits for hot rods that come with absolutely everything, compressor evaporator heater core etc , but they run at least 800 bucks.
I want to try and go for the same result but using what exists on the jeep.
Any ideas?

My first comment is that if your blower only runs on high, it probably isn't your switch, it is the resistor pack located in the heater duct above your passengers feet. EASY fix with only two screws holding it in. If your doors aren't working, you should check the vacuum lines where they enter the interior from the engine compartment. If you look in the engine compartment, you will see them near the top on the passengers side and they are notorious for cracking. Another easy fix if this is the issue.

My second comment is that there is no such thing as a cheap AC system. Vintage air has some kits that fit under the dash but the parts add up fast. If you search on this forum you will find a thread where a guy documented how he converted his R12 AC to R124. You could probably get the compressor, hoses, Expansion valve, Dryer and various fittings off a '95 at the junkyard and this approach has the added advantage of allowing you to buy the coolant at your local auto shop (O'Reilly's, Autozone ... they all carry the stuff).

Based on what I have read, if you take this approach, you can keep the evaporator from the old model (the part in your heater box) but you would want to change out your condenser with a new one designed for R-124 systems. A newer condenser isn't too expensive (this is the piece that sits in front of your radiator so it is easy to get to) so rather than use the junkyard one, I would replace it.

HTH

Unfortunately a lot of vacuum lines have been cut and capped off with screws, and a fair amount of wires have just been cut and go nowhere.
So I guess my issue is I have really no starting point to try and track down the problems, as I have no idea what is supposed to go where.
I also totally understand that AC by definition is not cheap.
I'll definitely look for that thread, thanks for the tip.

Back