• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camshaft position codes

BoBDoG2o02

NAXJA Forum User
I have been having some issues where my jeep just stops running. It seems like its running out of fuel but it has gas. Then the CEL comes on. Judging from the codes i need to check the cam position sensor, but after doing some searching around someone suggested just to replace the entire distributor. Any thoughts here? Here are the codes I pulled. I have a '96 with a 4.0 5spd and 4wd.

Last edited:
In my experience with similar XJ situations, when you have BOTH the P1391 and the P0340, (which you do) the first suspect is the camshaft position sensor. If you see only the P1391, the first suspect is generally the crankshaft position sensor.

I wouldn't replace the entire distributor as that is generally not necessary. Be sure to pay close attention to the condition of the wiring and connector for the cam sensor.

The camshaft position sensor can be tested with a manual and a meter. That works best if the sensor is failing catastrophically. However, if failing intermittently and the engine is running, testing may not be of any value to you. If you replace any sensors, use genuine MOPAR sensors for best results. Aftermarket engine management sensors are "hit and miss".......

Last edited:
While calling around for the cam position sensor i'm being told that it is the coil pickup sensor. i cant find a listing for a cam position sensor. i know that the coil pickup tells the computer where the cam is for ignition purposes but i would like some conformation before i go buying the wrong thing.

I could only find the sensor at NAPA for like $60. I could find a full replacement distributor brand new with new cap and rotor etc etc etc with the new sensor for $110 from Oreilly. I bought a sensor a while ago from NAPA and then my distributor started leaking oil so the only way I could get the new gasket was get the whole distributor. Now I have a spare cap, rotor, and sensor.

While calling around for the cam position sensor i'm being told that it is the coil pickup sensor. i cant find a listing for a cam position sensor. i know that the coil pickup tells the computer where the cam is for ignition purposes but i would like some conformation before i go buying the wrong thing.

I have heard of it being called that. As long as you're getting the sensor "inside" of the distributor, you're getting the right one.

A couple of notes a bit late:

Earlier Chrysler and Renix systems had a cam position sensor that required disassembly of the distributor to replace. Later ones (95 and up for sure) do not, and it is dead easy to replace - take off cap and rotor, pull off sensor, snap sensor on, put rotor and cap back, drive away.

I found with my stepson's 93, and later with my 95, that the cam sensor prevents the computer from going through its initial boot sequence, but the engine can run without it. If you turn on the ignition, disconnect the cam sensor plug, then plug it back in, you will hear a sequence of startup noises, and the engine will start. You must repeat this for every start, and because injection is not timed right, it will not run as well, and may overheat, but it is a good way to diagnose if this is really the problem, and it just might get you home.

When the sensor went bad on the 93, it set only the correct OBD1 code. On the 95, it set both cam and crank sensor codes, I don't know why.

I did a full ignition tune-up while i had the distributor open. New rotor, cap plugs and wires in addition to the Cam position sensor aka ignition coil pickup.

Drove alot today and had no issues. Thanks for all the insight :)

For what it's worth, I've had to replace 2 cam position
sensors on my 96. The last one failed when the magnet
separated from it's holder. On the new one, I added a
dab of epoxy glue on each side of the magnet as
insurance against this happening again...

Back