• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'01 Won't Start After Head Unit Install

ajkreppel

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I have a quick question. I put in a new JVC head unit last night on my '01, and now it doesn't want to start. It was a pretty clean install, but I'll explain any steps I took that I think may have caused this.

First, even though my Crutchfield mastersheet said that the spade connector on the back radio body wasn't the ground, I was confused as to where the new ground was supposed to run, so I called Crutchfield. The guy I talked to told me to cut the spade off, and splice in my ground. When I called again later, the second guy told me to cut that connection, so it is no longer in place anymore, but I'm worried I may have done some damage.

I also ran the mic wire under the kick panel, but I didn't push it up very far. However, I'm still wondering if it's possible that I disrupted something there.

As for it not starting, when I reconnected the battery, the hazard lights came on and I can hear them ticking behind the dash, but the light doesn't come on to indicate the hazards are on. If I put the key in the ignition, the lights on the dash flicker with the hazards. Everything else works in the car, like lights, stereo, etc. The only light that doesn't behave as it should on the dash is the brake light, which comes on when I try to turn the ignition over. When I flip the key to start, nothing happens at all, no noises or attempt to turn over. I was thinking it might be the negative battery connector, so I cleaned the terminals and bought a new connector. I can get it to start by disconnecting the negative battery terminal a couple times, so I'm not quite sure what's going on. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

Remove the head unit. Restore the Jeep to the condition in which it was prior to the installation and then attempt to start.

Verifying all of the fuses just makes sense and hurts nothing. I would do this as a matter of course.

Advise us of what happens and we can continue. This may take a bit of finagling. As to the spade connection on the head unit, what does JVC say about it? When I get conflicting information from a Vendor, I call the manufacturer directly to sort the issue out.

You're right. I didn't see that. Well then... maybe a security system? Next time you hear the clicking, try cycling the door cylinder with the key. If it is equipped with an OEM alarm, that will disable it.

Checked all the fuses, and I connected what appears to be the case ground (wire that had the female spade) to part of the dash, and I was able to start it repeatedly, which I couldn't do before. So I may have solved it, but only the next day or so will tell.

Hopefully you will realize that I am not being an as* here but...

90% of the time, whatever the last thing that was done to a machine prior to it's malfunctioning is the cause of the malfunction. Trick here is that most folk are not willing to accept this. I know, from bitter experience, how things can go oh so wrong, oh so fast.

Which is why I recommended getting everything back to stock and starting over with better information. I have faith that the issue will resolve.

I am just an Old Guy who is most likely Senile to boot but, I do have well over 5 decades of automotive and machine experience under my belt. I make no claims to being infallible though as anyone can, and usually does, make mistakes.

Some of mine have been whoppers...

I don't have time to put it back to stock right now because I'm at work. I can get away with running out there for a few minutes, but not for very long.

I did try to cycle the lock, but that didn't help. It has a remote with it, but I've never used it because it doesn't have a battery. So I'm thinking maybe if it is the alarm, it can only be turned off with the remote? It does also have an aftermarket alarm, but I've never looked at it. My dad found it, and I'm pretty sure he said it wasn't hooked up. That is something I have to check as well.

Unfortunately, when I went to lunch, it wouldn't start again, so grounding that wire didn't help.

With an aftermarket alarm, turn the key to the 'on' position then connect the battery to disable the alarm system.

The EVS II is a factory mopar alarm. I took it to a dealer to see if they could program the one remote I got with the car, but the system won't recognize they remote. I can't figure out how to get this alarm off. I tried cycling the door locks, disconnecting the battery and leaving the key in the ON position, and everything else I can think of. I'm stuck here. Anybody have any insight?

Well, I think I figured it out. I was never able to reset the alarm so that it behaved. I believe this is because the system only resets with the use of the remote fob. I have a factory fob, but I don't believe it works with the system. After doing some research, I discovered that the wiring for this system is pretty plug-and-play. So I disconnected the factory ignition harness from the EVS harness, and plugged it back into where the other end of the EVS harness had taken its place. Then, I traced the door lock harness to over next to the fuse box on the passenger side, and returned that to the factory condition as well. Then, I just pulled the alarm module. Everything works just like it should from the factory. I hope this helps anybody who is in my position.

Back