• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

adhesive backed UHMW film for leaf springs?

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
Haven't been able to find 2.5" leaf spring liners available on the internet so I started looking for replacements.
Mcmaster sells adhesive backed UHMW film, .012" thick & 12" wide, for $6 a foot.
Seems like a winner to me.
Anyone have experience they want to share? Input?

Deaver carries the 2.5" teflon liners. I purchased 100ft couple years ago to do my RE1420 springs, used half and sold the rest to another NAXJA member.
Just need to give them a call.

UHMW is Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene. It is far and away more robust as a material than Teflon.

UHMW is used as the track bearings on Skimobiles...

Yep, uhmw is slick as snot and has exceptional wear resistance. I'm thinking that adhesive backed film might work (adhesive might not hold up between leaf springs) or failing that, full length thin sheets between the leaf springs & held in place by the clamps.
I'd call Eaton or Deaver but I find it galling to call during business hours and give credit card info over the phone. Call me new school, but I like encryption and convenience.

even with quality 3M adhesive, i dont see UHMW holding up. well, the material would likely last, but the adhesive is unlikely. my biggest concern would be exhaust temps on the passenger side.

I'm not sure it matters, standard spring liners do not even have an adhesive, they don't move. as has been said, UHMW is more robust than the teflon commonly used.

OP,

this seems like a decent alternative as well
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flat-Spring-Liners,7471.html

In the past I tried straight UHMW plastic strips but they slipped out. Next i order a roll of "h"-shape plastic liner, from Eaton Spring, and this works well. The lips keep the liner in position between the leaves.
Do note that each full length plastic strip will add about a 1/8" of an inch to the ride height.

Class just started so I'm keeping this short...
I read up more on uhmw. A few things...
Adhesive isnt' a great way to attach it to metal if temperatures are expected, as uhmw has 5x the thermal expansion of steel. This may or may not really matter in a leaf pack. If I think of it some time, I'll put a hand on my leaf springs after a good drive. If it doesn't hurt, I'm assuming it's not hot enough to worry about expansion /adhesion.
It has a tendency to cold flow under pressure. I couldn't find metrics on this that I could understand but I think it's safest to assume that if you run it under the U-bolt plate & torque it all down, the plastic may flow - effectively loosening the U-bolts. No bueno.
Looks to me like UHMW sheet could be used if held in place by the leaf spring clamps or a film might be used if the leaves were prepped for adhesive. Best to keep it out from under the U-bolt plate (which may apply to PTFE liners as well, don't know really)

I might dogfood this later on, though I'm unlikely to tear down my leaves any time soon. As I see it, the benefit of doing this vs buying from Deaver is price & availability.

I remember this coming up back in the day to try and get leaf springs to flex better.

Quite a few tried it...but didn't really "seem" worth it really.

As always, a good shackle angle and some worked in leaves work far better.

My $.02

I know the liners help the leaves out - I am cheap and I usually sand down the rust, paint the leaves, and then coat them with axle grease, then wrap the pack in duct tape. Its a bastard pack anyway and leaves are plentiful.

We use UHMW sheets on the bottom of our airboats down here in FL. It is super tough stuff and pretty slick too. I have hundreds of hours on a 1/4" sheet screwed to bottom of my boat. It goes on gravel, dirt and the road fairly often and there is not a thin spot anywhere. There are some specialty adhesives that make it stick to boats and never fall off. If is the same adhesive, it should last a long time. Teflon is slick, but poor at resisting abrasion. I'd be interested in hearing how it works if anyone gives it a try.

Has anyone tried a ptfe coating? Most need heat to cure like powder coat but there are some that can just be sprayed or brushed on. Probably wouldnt last as long as liners though.
This might be a dumb question but how do the liners slip out? Are they drilled for the spring pin?

Has anyone tried a ptfe coating? Most need heat to cure like powder coat but there are some that can just be sprayed or brushed on. Probably wouldnt last as long as liners though.
This might be a dumb question but how do the liners slip out? Are they drilled for the spring pin?

They have to drilled for the spring center pins. The spring clamps (the clamps that go around the springs at both sides of the axle) will hold the rest in place the same way they hold the springs from fanning out at the ends.

The 2.5 teflon liners I bought from Deaver have a good 1/8" lip top and bottom that help the liners 'hug' the spring and keep them from slipping out. Plus, they are drilled and clamps on both ends.

The problem I see with the adhesive is that leaf springs are not static. They are constantly flexing and that will eventually degrade the adheasive. UHMW at .012" thick will flex with the spring, but you will still see a shearing force at the adheasive.

Back