• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pop noise when I stop

Desert4x4

NAXJA Forum User
So its a 1999, and its makes a loud pop noise if I stop quickly. After that if iI stop quickly it won't pop. But it will pop again if Ifloor it fROM a stop in 4x4. Then it will only pop if Islam on the brakes. Sounds llike something is shifting forward and backwards. The control arm bolts and track bar bolts seem tight to me. Any ideas?
Thanks.

put it in reverse, and pop your foot off the brake real quick. if it clunks 99.9% of the time your trans mount is shot, the sound you hear is the trans/tcase smacking into the body.

Thanks guys.the transmission mount is a brand new Daystar. The clunk was there before and after the mount replacement. The upper and lower control arms look all original. Bushings too. It sounds like an upper control arm. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Thanks for the slip yoke idea.

So I changed the control arms. I didn't change that front upper control arm bushing thats in the axle. Looks like a day job.

Still have to drive it to see the results.

Will it pop as you are hitting the brakes or when you let off them after stopping quick? If it's when you let off, I had a similar (same?) noise and it was the slip yoke on the rear driveshaft needing lube. Greased it with a mix of bearing grease & anti-seize, that was years ago, problem solved.

I've seen this several times. Even though the Control Arm bolts seem tight, the hole in the bracket they go through gets egged out and they pop back and forth. No matter how tight the bolt, the size of the hole allows it to work back and forth.

It would pop when I hit the brakes, and then I could pop it again if I took off fast in fulltime or parttime 4x4.

Well it seems better now that I changed the control arm bushings, excluding the front uppers.

I did grease the slip yoke May last year, but it's probably due for new grease.

Thanks.

Will it pop as you are hitting the brakes or when you let off them after stopping quick? If it's when you let off, I had a similar (same?) noise and it was the slip yoke on the rear driveshaft needing lube. Greased it with a mix of bearing grease & anti-seize, that was years ago, problem solved.

Thanks for the slip yoke idea.

So I changed the control arms. I didn't change that front upper control arm bushing thats in the axle. Looks like a day job.

Still have to drive it to see the results.

I had three Broncos that had problems with the slip yoke binding. One way to tell is when you brake semi-hard and the back end comes down after a full stop you'll hear and feel a pop. Ford started coating the splines with Teflon, it worked for a while but would come back. I keep mine clean and greased.

I had three Broncos that had problems with the slip yoke binding. One way to tell is when you brake semi-hard and the back end comes down after a full stop you'll hear and feel a pop. Ford started coating the splines with Teflon, it worked for a while but would come back. I keep mine clean and greased.

Thanks. That reminds me to grease the slip yoke. It seems that the noise is gone after changing the control arms luckily! I did several quick stops and starts and no noises.

I wonder if you could coat the slip yoke with Teflon like the broncos.

A teflon paste could work. I think nickel based lubricants are spec'ed by Ford nowadays. If I recall, nickel based lubricants hold up under extreme pressure better than conventional grease or synthetics. Expensive, though.

Back