• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$1K to spend, Help me choose a lift

USAF007

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, So the wife gave me a somewhat Fixed budget of $1k to spend on either gun/reloading stuff or the Jeep. I decided to put some money into the XJ as I have been putting this build off for a WHILE.

Jeep:

2000 XJ sport auto
8.25 rear
135K miles.

Planning on building this as an "expedition" rig, and have read through the different expedition rig threads MANY times. I keep coming to the same impass that keeps me from starting the build. 3", 3.5" or 4.5" lift?

Right now these are the contenders for the lift:

RC 3" series II
RC 4.5" X Series
RE 3.5" superride
RE 3.5" superflex

I dont plan on doing ANY rock climbing, I live in Iowa. Mostly will be doing Mild trails, and plan on moving out of Iowa into the mountains a some point, so she needs to be able to perform on off the beaten path trails.

I have damn near brand new 235 Duratracs on her, and want to stick with the duratracs, LOVE these tires, even if I go up to 31's.

So, what say you? with a 1K budget, which lift would YOU get?

I didn't read any of it but because you are asking, I've learned from others, don't get a kit, piece it out, much cheaper and easier

FWIW this is what I would do...1 inch lift shackle in back (with a leaf spring shim to adjust for the pinion angle change), 1 inch coil spring spacer in the front. Then i would buy a locker for the front, HD diff covers for both axles, a gas tank skid plate (from a JY), transfer case skid plate (from a zj in the JY), ZJ tie rod (from the JY), and then I would fill the tank up with gas and go wheeling. With relatively careful driving you will be amazed just where an xj (even stock) will go.

Well gents, One of my buddies told me to Give RC a call and see what they could do for me(he drives a lifted Chevy) and HOLY HELL. I got the 4.5" X-series(comes with literally EVERYTHING. Adj upper and lower arms, adj track bar, NEW brake lines, FULL packs) for $300 LESS than the 3.5" RE SF kit was going to be with just shocks, no track bar.

I pulled the trigger. Got the Whole kit shipped to my door for $800. HELL YES. haha.

Going to put the other $200 into a tire fund. Wife will NOT let me get rid of the brand new 235's yet, so Im going to try and convince her we will sell them quick so we can get the 31's.

Could you possibly get a different wife for 1k? Probably not.

For 1k I'd buy:

3 inch coil spring
Set of 2" leaf springs
Set of decent shackles
Rugged Ridge SYE
Junkyard front drive shaft to use in the rear
Set of decent shocks

Install all that and save for bigger tires.

This is mine with that set-up. 3" piece part lift and 31's.

Snow2-14-0282_zpsd4dcc849.jpg

Oh well, I guess I typed all that for nothing. lol

I can go ahead and tell you that the leaf springs are going to be too short, the shocks might last 6 months and the bushings might last a year. You'd better use that extra $200 to buy a shackle relocation brackets. Did the kit come with a SYE? At 4.5" of lift on a late model you're going to need it.

I sure am glad I don't have to OK stuff with my wife. Whew.

haha, well I choose to have a happy wife :) The Bushing issue was fixed(havnt seen any nasty threads about it in over a year), comes with TCase drop, SYE is in the plans, the Tcase drop will work for now as I wont be wheeling it for a while.

Dam some of you guys are pretty negative about shit. Im excited. Im getting a lift, and I have YET to see a thread anywhere that a person who HAS this lift has complained. lots of people who DONT have it complain though.

If that kit uses the same track bar as the wj kit, sleeve it before you even put it on. Folded like a taco on the wife's first trip with hers. Here's someone who had one of their kits(although on a wj) and has exactly 0 parts of that original kit still under the jeep. Track bar was first to go, then bushings, then the flex joints in the front arms. Actually I think the front springs may now be mounted in the rear after some extensive mods.

haha, well I choose to have a happy wife :) The Bushing issue was fixed(havnt seen any nasty threads about it in over a year), comes with TCase drop, SYE is in the plans, the Tcase drop will work for now as I wont be wheeling it for a while.

Dam some of you guys are pretty negative about shit. Im excited. Im getting a lift, and I have YET to see a thread anywhere that a person who HAS this lift has complained. lots of people who DONT have it complain though.

Another thread asking for questions and then gets defensive when given an answer...

I HAVE had that kit. You assumed I haven't.

An all in one-der kit always sounds great but rarely lives up to the hype.

Also, 4.5" lift on 235 tires ??? :eek: Even on 31's :eek:

Have fun and tell the wife Thank You

So you posted up asking about lifts and 30 minutes later go on raving over how you ordered a RC lift? You need to give folks more time… or its phishing

Just an FYI usually folks post up weeks before and gather info. But its odd that you have been searching for a year(see below) and then ask advice. Its quite odd to post up asking for advice on lifts and then come back raving over RC within the hour. Tastes a lot like SPAM.

" The Bushing issue was fixed(havnt seen any nasty threads about it in over a year)…"

How would you have already done a years worth of research on lifts and suddenly ask for advice? Seems like you have it figured out.

To clear 31s get used 3" coils, AAL/bastard pack in the rear/ Bil 5150s, some used LCAs and UCAs, and a good track bar (not RC track bars or Rustys track bars!)

smaller than 31s do a 2" BB.

Last edited:
dumb move. for 31s you should have gotten the old man emu heavy duty setup. 6 months from now youll hate the RC crap.

but what do i know, i sold my xj and bought a land rover.

I have an RC kit and am very happy with it. It is a great starter kit and for the money it can't be beat. RC makes great introductory level stuff and when you decide to get more hardcore with your rig you can step up to a different brand later on. Enjoy the lift and go long arm once you out grow it!

i made the mistake of going with a cheap lift and cheap shocks, for a while there i had a sad jeep and i was not a happy camper

Please take a pic of your 4.5" lift with 235-series tires and post it here. Then get the 33" tires that lift requires. Then spend the extra $2300 to regear (because it won't have any power with stock gears) and put in a locker. I get the feeling this was just an elaborate plan to get a "cheap" lift and then spend tons of cash on your rig to make it right without your wife getting pissed. If so, well played.

Edit: P.S. Spend that $200 on a cheap SYE or hack-and-tap. You will need it on that late model.

Last edited:
OP, you should listen to the guys here for a reason... they've been there and done that. There is NO way I'd throw down $800 on a RC anything. You asked for feedback and went your own way, fine. Good luck.

Could you possibly get a different wife for 1k? Probably not.

For 1k I'd buy:

3 inch coil spring
Set of 2" leaf springs
Set of decent shackles
Rugged Ridge SYE
Junkyard front drive shaft to use in the rear
Set of decent shocks

Install all that and save for bigger tires.

This is mine with that set-up. 3" piece part lift and 31's.

Snow2-14-0282_zpsd4dcc849.jpg

I love your front bumper... who makes that or is it a one off?

It's all custom. A friend bent the tube for me and I welded it all up. If I ever get around to it I'll be mounting the winch to it that it was designed for.

Thanks!

Back