• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn signal problem

AMomentPlz

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys how's it goin? purchased a 1990 cherokee laredo $1400, great suv super clean interior has minor oil leak 4x4 works great ac/heat doesnt work so working on that but in the meantime i'm trying to figure out my turnsignal problem all my bulbs work and in good shape. the 20a fuse is great (replaced it for the hell of it) the flasher i exchanged the one from the hazards and the blinkers worked so figured whoop that was easy got a new flasher well i guess that wasnt the problem because the blinkers dont work now no matter how many flashers i threw in there (3 total) last thing i can think of is turn signal switch it's self? or is there more to the blinker system that i know of? any input would be great guys thanks.

Wiggle the turn signal arm and see if it feels sloppy. There is a screw in there that comes loose on occasion and the turn signal mechanism never quit makes it far enough to latch and make contact.

Turn signal flashers aren't universal, the are matched to the number of bulbs and approximate wattage you are using. Sometimes you can get away with a miss match, sometimes you can't. I've found the flashers that say 6 bulbs are iffy, the ones that say 4-6 bulbs almost always work.

Do the turn signal indicators in your instrument cluster light up?

Bilder hochladen

only when i turn on Hazards they'll light up.. and wow i didnt know that about the flashers i just went to o'riellys and found a set of like 4 different flashers and bought the 3$ one and same with autozone what ever were the cheapest i got.. i'll have to take apart the the steering and check out that switch and see if that screw came loose

If your turn signal arm fails to lock (click in) up or down or has a really sloppy feel to to it, you may have to tighten up that screw. There is a clip and a single screw that holds the turn signal arm in there. If it gets loose, the contacts may fail to contact and/or the arm may fail to lock in the turn signal contacts in the up or down (left or right turn signal) position. When the screw is loose it usually causes either the left or right (up or down), one or the other, not to click in (catch) unless you ignore it way past to long then they may both screw up. :)

Electronic flashers are a good bet, if you get a name brand, but they can be pricey. The good part is most work with most any number of bulbs.

Last edited:
they lock up just fine, didn't really feel any sloppiness but i'm going to take it apart anyways and see about that clip/screw maybe that can be the problem i bought a new switch just incase the contacts maybe worn but who knows. found out this suv has cruise control but no switch on the dash for one.. so can't tell if it'll work or not

Back