• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

control arm help

moparcyco

NAXJA Forum User
First of this a 91 2 door with about 6 inches of lift.on the front I believe it has a rough country 4.5 kit the lca's looks like this kit http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-suspension-lift-kit-633n2.html
I just bought some RE 4.5 springs for the rear as it had blocks(purchased that way)but with the hd shackles boxes these were way to much.Ya like a lot of rake,anyway put in some spacers now im having all kinds of problems.it was a royal pain getting the uca's back in there spot,and the front driveshaft is now fully compressed.I think the uca's now are to short?And before I get flamed saying get long arms I know I am saving for a kit.I have searched all day and have found a lot of info.Seems like drop brackets and adjustable uca's are the ticket for a short arm lift.So the question is is there other options? ie cheaper for now.arms from a wj or something.Don't want to drop almost half what a long arm kit would cost but don't quite have enough for the long arms yet.Thanks guys

Edit it has the stock uca's also

Last edited:
It's hard to tell exactly what problem you are trying to solve.
In any case, no, there is no other control arm that will make any difference.
At 6" lift, your steering and your control arm angles are F'ed. Pinion angle / caster are beyond what the factory adjustment can fix, too.
You'll need drop brackets or mid / long arms to fix any of that.
Your best bet in the short term is to lose some lift height and save up for the day you can return to 6" with proper geometry.
You could also buy drop brackets and plan to sell them off when you upgrade to long arms, recouping some of the money spent.

pull that front spacer back out and let the rear springs settle before trying to correct the ride height. in the mean time throw some extra weight in the back.

Please post some pics. Please consider breaking your thoughts up into paragraphs.

Please allow some time for the new leaves to settle . Put a few hundered miles on them with some real serious weight in the cargo area. Then see where they settle.

Most of your problem is running stock UCAs with 4.5" coils and 2" pucks. but not all of it.

You would be better off to run longer uppers and longer lowers, either buy some fixed longer uppers or some adjustable uppers. No way around that. They are way too short for 6.5" of lift. You can get away with some longer fixed uppers. I would recommend dropping the entire rig down to 4.5" and keeping it there.

Also, what LCAs are you running right now?

Please post some pics. Please consider breaking your thoughts up into paragraphs.

Please allow some time for the new leaves to settle . Put a few hundered miles on them with some real serious weight in the cargo area. Then see where they settle.

Most of your problem is running stock UCAs with 4.5" coils and 2" pucks. but not all of it.

You would be better off to run longer uppers and longer lowers, either buy some fixed longer uppers or some adjustable uppers. No way around that. They are way too short for 6.5" of lift. You can get away with some longer fixed uppers. I would recommend dropping the entire rig down to 4.5" and keeping it there.

Also, what LCAs are you running right now?

The arms are in the above link.Thanks for all the help decided to by some 3.5 springs and drop the spacers and will trim for tire clearance.Anybody wabt a good deal on some brand new springs:banghead:

Also the rear springs are settled have driven about 2500 miles with plenty of weight.Just did not realize the RE springs go much higher than advertised.Thanks everyone for the help!

Last edited:
Get adjustable aftermarket uppers and drop the 2" pucks up front, dial in your caster and toe in, and call it good.

Troy,
You will like how the rig performs both on and off-road with the lower lift height. I think there is an arm length chart in the FAQs that should help you dial in lengths for fixed length replacement arms......a guy with a welder could fab up some replacement arms ;-)

Back