• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shortening Track Bar For WJ Swap OTK

Cburb88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So im in the middle of doing my wj swaps steering and whatnot. I have everything figured out except the trackbar deal. i have a IRO double shear adjustable trackbar and mount. Id like to shorten it to fit for the new JKS over axle mount but cant make my mind up on how to do it right.

Planned on making a cut in the middle and re welding, sleeving and rosette welding a few places. Im not sure if i should cut the axle end off instead where the bend is though and some how welding like that. That bend on the axle side im afraid might not work with that mount. Not sure how to go about this, thanks for any help.

Pic of my track bar setup

Interested in the same thing, I have the double sheer RE track bar and mount and would preferably like to keep it instead of buying a new one.

I know its been done just curious how i should go about it.

It would probably easiest to cut off and shorten the axle end, I'm pretty sure that bar is solid and not hollow tube.

Once you've determined where the axle mount needs to be, you'll want to cut from the long straight section in the middle. I'd sleeve it back together, drilling several 1/4 - 1/2" holes in the sleeve to use for rosette welds. I think you want to cut from the center or the frame side. If you cut from the axle side's short straight section I think you are going to have a funky angle that won't want to stuff as the suspension compresses.

The easiest would be cutting the middle and sleeving but the best way would seem like cutting the bushing off on axle end and shortening.which would probably make the track bar pretty straight. only problem is after cutting that bushing off it would be a real pain to get it welded back on correctly and i cant see how there would be room to sleeve it.

I guess you could cut the frame end and buy a new bushing and housing for it, then just weld it like you would a custom track bar.

Well I figured I could take bushing out then cut the end off. Shorten track bar and then weld the end back on. Not sure if the weld would be strong enough though. There wouldn't be any room to sleeve it either i dont think.

Yeah - most track bars use a butt weld on the end of it, but you have to ask yourself : how confident are you in your welding? Me, I'd rather cut the center section & sleeve it. Then, I'm in my rookie year of welding.

Yea and you'd probably have to notch the solid steel bar to contour the round bushing end and get it all squared up sounds like a pain in the ass.

Just make one, or buy the clayton bar they sell for their wj conversion. Did you install the JKS bracket yet?

Bracket is tacked on. I'd rather just make this one work. I haven't had it long and I dont really feel like buying a whole new track bar setup.

Ok, with the RE frameside bracket which puts the frameside at the same level as a stock pitman arm, the JKS bracket mounting point is about 1.5-2" too low. If you want, I can take pictures of this setup. At least modify the JKS bracket, or go to a claytons bracket before you burn it in.

Are you saying the angles won't be good? I could always change pitman arm with more or less drop. What modifications are u talking about to the jks bracket?

Well I'm pretty sure it will be a little bit shorter. Not a whole lot I can do about that though.

I'm looking at maybe moving the coil bucket back so I can bring the track bar as far over to the passenger side as possible. Possibly doing what Goatman has on his rig with the track bar mounted to the inner C. Thats really the only way to bring them the same length. But there are tons of people that are running the WJ steering with shorter TBs and they work just fine.

On another note, I looked at my RE TB and I don't know if I'm going to be able to Cut and re use it b/c of the bends near the axle end. Thats why I'm considering the coil move and longer TB since I'll have to buy one anyway. Probably going to sell this and put it towards a new one.

RE on top stock on bottom

Thats kind of what i was wondering with the bend. I dont think the bend on axle end should interfere though? since the mounting point for the bracket sits up pretty high.

Back