• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 2dr build help.

xjordon

NAXJA Forum User
So basically its time to build a rig. this will be driven to and from the trail and axle width is an issue. cops round here dont like much tire showing. i work out of town so progress may be slow. ill try to keep the tread updated as soon as possible.

current specs:
96 2dr sport
short arm 6.5 lift
33"
SYE
aussie locked d30
open 8.25
212u7aq.jpg

What i want:
35"-37" tires
long arms
4.56 or 4.88
relocate gastank (cargo area)
106"ish wheelbase (flip springs)
traction bar
possibly cage

I recently picked up a Lincoln 180 and im still learning. bit i do have fab help from friends if need be. Basically before i start collecting parts i have a few questions. my original idea was explorer 8.8 and my current d30 with truss and aftermarket shafts. Ive researched this a fair bit. some say easy on the skinny and you will be fine some say absolutely wont last. then i thought maybe a bronco d44. just want some input on this. im trying to keep it as reasonable in price as possible.

8.8 with 4:88s would be good for 35s. Hp30 will hold 35s. Just be smart about how you wheel. Add a truss and some 4340 shafts. If you gonna spend more than 1000 bucks on a 30 then you'd be better off picking up waggy 44.

8.8 with 4:88s would be good for 35s. Hp30 will hold 35s. Just be smart about how you wheel. Add a truss and some 4340 shafts. If you gonna spend more than 1000 bucks on a 30 then you'd be better off picking up waggy 44.

Thanks for the response. It's a hard decision because really I can't get away with spending much less than 800 bucks getting a hp30 built. I think that is the way I will go for now. Stay on 35's and should fill my needs.

I agree with 4.88's for 35's. My last XJ was on 35's & 4.56's and it wasn't quite optimal in my hilly area. It was always kicking down into passing gear at the slightest of hills if I wanted to maintain speed. I'm suffering the same fate with my current XJ; it has 4.10's on 33's. It's much better than the stock 3.55 gearing for sure, but it's just not quite optimal for my area.

Back