• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bell housing

xjhoyle

NAXJA Forum User
I've recently purchased a 1995 xj se. Has around 200k, auto trans 4x4 and no power accessories. I noticed a wet spot under my trans at work today and upon further inspection it looks like my bellhousing is cracked, I'm not 100% because it was dark but pretty sure. Can I replace the housing itself for cheap if it is cracked? I'm mechanically inclined but not a mechanic by trade. I have lots of tools, space and some time to do it so if I can save money by doing it myself I will. Any insight would be great.

Just my opinion, but unless the crack is very large or near a bolt hole I'd ignore it. What you are likely seeing is a typical Jeep oil leak. First step is to get a finger full and decide if it is engine oil or tranny oil. And then keep an eye on it to see how much it actually drips on the ground. A little oil can look like a lot, but may just be seepage. Seepage is usually defined as a wet spot that doesn't drip much if it all. Check your engine oil and tranny oil frequently and see if you are in fact loosing any significant amount. I always check all my fluids on a new to me Jeep, no telling when the last time anybody actually physically checked the transfer or differential oils.

Oil filter adaptor, rear valve cover, front and rear main bearing seals are all spots to check. Transmission cooler lines are a common place for leaks, rear transfer output is also a common spot for leaks.

The bell housing isn't sealed, it is just a cover for the flex plate and torque converter or the flywheel and clutch. It does mate up the tranny to the engine, but really isn't prone to significant damage.

Oil often blows to the rear when you are driving and the oil you are seeing may be coming from in front of the transmission all the way from the front of the motor. Most times (often) it is a leaky rear main bearing seal, they are prone to fail. Quarter sized leaks on the ground I ignore, saucer sized leaks need some attention.

I'm gonna look at it today but from what I saw last night (moving parts from inside the bellhousing from where the housing meets the motor at the very bottom) I'm not expecting much but a nice crack. Ill check my fluids again. I have checked them several times since I got it and everything seemed fine till I noticed that spot last night and it was the size of a dinner plate. Ill have a verdict in a little bit.
How hard is it to pull an auto trans in these?

I'd also like insight as to which trans I have. After reading on the web I'd assume its the aw4 but I read today about a 30rh and have no clue which I have.

There are tin dust covers, covering the bottom half of the bell housing in the front.

Which engine do you have?

Just my opinion, but unless the crack is very large or near a bolt hole I'd ignore it. What you are likely seeing is a typical Jeep oil leak. First step is to get a finger full and decide if it is engine oil or tranny oil.

You have an AW4 (Aisin Warner made for Toyotas, Jeeps)

There is no fluid inside the bell housing. The only thing in there is a spinning torque converter an flexplate attached to the torque converter. If it is leaking tranny fluid out of the bell housing then the front (input) seal is leaking. Super easy to fix...once the tranny is out.

As 8Mud is telling you, if it's a small (barely discernible) crack it's fine and will not cause any problems...and therefore does NOT require replacement.

Take the advice already given before you move on or overthink it. Pulling the tranny is not fun...which is why most tranny shops will charge $600 or so just to pull it .

If it's a serious crack, it could easily cause engine/trans misalignment and blow out the input seal. But if it's a serious crack, you really can't miss it or not be sure.

Back