• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf removal for less lift

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everybody
I've got a deal on craigslist maybe. A guy is selling clayton 6.5 inch springs brand new for half of what I could buy them for. Problem is I'm running about 4 inches of lift right now on 38s. Would I be able to pull a leaf or 2 out of these packs without getting axle wrap or sagging?

Should be fine. I would pull a single leaf, probably one of the middle ones. Toss it back in and measure. Go from there.

I had Clayton's old 4.5" leaf pack which was the 6.5" minus a leaf. Problem was I got terrible leaf wrap until I built a traction bar. When you remove a leaf he spacing between leafs is thrown off and it gives a softer spot.

Hmm
I guess these are options to consider
I don't really want to save money up front but end up needing to build a ladder bar down the road. But on the flip side they are brand new packs for 200 bucks

I garuntee if you crawl rocks your leafs wrap. You may not romp on the throttle hard enough to break anything. I'm bouncing off the rev limiter every where I go. Next time ur out wheeling and bound up have someone video your leafs as your getting on it. You'll see what happens.

Not really an issue
Any leaf set up with out a ladder bar will get some kind of wrap. All I'm saying is I've build my rig and I know what it's capabilities are. For 5 years if I haven't busted a u joint km not worried about the little bit of wrap which probably does exist.

And I've seen xjs and yjs with 3 inch lifts and 31s that literally clapped on small hill climbs from axle wrap. It's more about the pack and quality than tire size and wheeling hannits

Ok but weren't you talking about removing a leaf for a 6.5" pack and using them ? That's an improper way to get less lift and it will cause leaf wrap. I know from experience with Clayton's pack. I did answer your original question

They've sagged to around 4 inches and are too stiff for my linking. I'm planning on running liquid iron industries rock sliders but want to get new packs first and Need it to total around 6 inches and match the front

Taking a leaf out of the clayton will bring you down to 4.5" with too much seperation between leafs. The slider boxes felt good on my jeep but your only gonna get a 1/2" out of them if that. I wish I had went with them again but it's too late, I already cut my shackle boxes out.

Another option is instead of removing a middle leaf entirely is to leave the front of the middle leaf the original size and trim off the back part of it just behind where the u bolts secure the axle to the leaf pack. This has 2 benefits:

1-leaves the front of the leaf full length to control the spring wrap and;
2-lets the rear part of the spring pack come down lower and flex better.

This is what Chrysler used to do on their heavy duty and super stock springs in the old muscle cars. Worked like a charm. As a matter of fact, they would use a couple extra leafs and half leaves on the passenger side spring to help plant that tire down on the track.

Check out the link:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar-Performance/312/P4452982/10002/-1?parentProductId=747047

Sounds good. I might end up going with rubicon express 5.5 inch sprigs and call it good. I can get them for. 340 shipped and be done with it

Might want to check this first.
Wasn't there some problems with RE leafs a couple of years ago? Did they ever get that sorted out? Was it something like the RE leafs being made in India or something like that? I might be wrong but I know my buddy had problems with his. Not trying to start anything, just want to make sure they got that fixed. Anybody know?

Might want to check this first.
Wasn't there some problems with RE leafs a couple of years ago? Did they ever get that sorted out? Was it something like the RE leafs being made in India or something like that? I might be wrong but I know my buddy had problems with his. Not trying to start anything, just want to make sure they got that fixed. Anybody know?

I had bushing issues with mine.

I just swapped my turdy5 for a 44 with 1" UBE's and Liqiud Iron Boxes and ditched my shackle. i was sittign at 4.5" with RE 3.5 full pack and RE shackle in the old superflex kit i was running. Now i'm sitting 5.75" and really wanting to go back down buy removing a leaf but i'm not sure which one to remove.

Back