• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep won't start when cold

XbajajeepX

NAXJA Forum User
So for the past couple of weeks my jeep hasn't been starting in the early mornings when it's really cold outside. I am talking like 10'-30's cold. When I turn the key in the ignition absolutely nothing happens. No click, no slow turnover, nothing. But as soon as the temps get up to 40's the jeep starts and runs perfectly fine. Would this be a bad starter or a sensor? Thanks!

When it won't start, will the lights come on?
If lights won't burn, first things to check are the
battery cables and connections. Especially the
ground cable connection to the engine block.

Yeah all lights work, battery is fully charged, everything is pretty much normal. Just nothing happens when I turn the key in the ignition and it's literally only when it's freezing outside

Is your starter covered in oil from a leaky oil filter adapter?

Have you tried slapping the shifter forwards, sometimes this helps if the cable isn't adjusted just right. Or starting it in neutral, which will let you know you have a neutral safety switch issue, either adjustment or corrosion. The grease inside the neutral safety switch gets old, thick and polluted.

I call this situation iffy contact, usually from oil or corrosion and it seems to get worse the colder it is.

Last edited:
I've tried to start it in neutral and pushing the shifter forward or backwards with no luck. I will pull the starter off and clean it up to see if that helps. Thanks!

Well I took the starter into orileys and had it tested. They said it failed so I bought a new one. I just put it in and the jeep still won't start. No click, nothing. I'm thinking they lied to me about my starter failing too. What else could be causing the jeep not to start? I have to get this fixed by Monday for work. Any help is very much appreciated.

Pull the NSS off and clean it. That's free and takes very little time.

That's the only thing I could think of that that would cause this sort of issue. Doesn't make much sense that it's temperature dependent.

I'm surprised it's not the starter. Even with lights on, it's worth a try to have someone Jump-start you with cables. Sometimes a tired battery can just give up in the cold. Been having that issue with my 5yr old battery this past winter. I also have problems with the starter though. I have to bang on mine a lot to get it going sometimes. Did you bang on the starters?

I'm surprised it's not the starter. Even with lights on, it's worth a try to have someone Jump-start you with cables. Sometimes a tired battery can just give up in the cold. Been having that issue with my 5yr old battery this past winter. I also have problems with the starter though. I have to bang on mine a lot to get it going sometimes. Did you bang on the starters?

I had my girlfriend try and jump start it with her 4runner. It did nothing.

I will try to clean the NSS.

I don't think its the NSS. The back up lights work in reverse.

Try jumping direct to the starter with jumper cables or crossing between the two starter wires with a screwdriver. Make SURE you are in park or it could start and run you over.
I take it that you didn't try this. This would prove that your battery, starter, and major connections were in good order. Jump across the two starter terminals.

So I pulled the NSS, took it apart and cleaned it up. I also installed a new starter today and it still won't start in the cold. It started up fine today when it hit around 60 degrees outside. I just went out to start it and nothing. This is driving me crazy.

When it's good and cold (when it won't start) jump the starter directly, that would go a long ways to help diagnosing the issue.

Well I know its not the starter itself because I put in a brand new one yesterday and it still wouldn't start.

Took the battery into Napa and had them load test it. Sure enough not enough cold cranking amps. Problem solved.

It was only in the cold. So I dunno. It was an optima yellow top if that makes any difference.

Mine was doing that in the cold - plenty of lights, no click on key turn.

Must be you missed the connection trying to jump it. I had to jump a lot last winter. I found having thick, copper cables helps. But every time I had to connect the donor car first, then contact the clamps on my end to test for spark. Then, once on my battery, wiggling while clamped would sometimes show a little spark while clamped. It can sometimes take 4 or 5 tries to get a connection. And I have new terminals.

Back