• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Beams not working

99_XJ_

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, so I've done a lot of poking around and searching but I can't seem to find a fix.

My high beams quit working a while ago and I can't seem to figure out why. Bulbs have been replaced and I just replaced the multifunction switch on the column today. When I flip the high beams on, the blue indicator light comes on, but not the actual lights. If I pull back on the stalk sometimes the low beams come on. To further compound things, if I have my fog lamps on and try to use the highs, it instantly blows the 15A fuse for the fog lights. I'm wondering if I haven't blown a fusible link somewhere. I do have an aftermarket H4 kit, but the wattage is stock - although I have ran some pretty high wattage bulbs in the past. When the high beams quit working, stock 55/60 bulbs were in.

It's a 99 XJ with a 4.0 and AW4, although I doubt that's irrelevant in this case..

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
The commonality between the high beams and the fog lights is that the fog relay grounds its coil through the high beam filament... I have no idea if that is actually your problem, but it's worth pulling the relay and seeing what happens.

I forgot to mention that - thank you. I did pull the fog lamp relay (the actual relay under the hood) and tried the high beams - nothing. It did not make any difference.

Tried cleaning the connectors in the pigtails today. No results. I really have no idea where to look next. I'm wondering if my headlight switch is the culprit, but I don't want to throw any more parts at it if I know they aren't gonna fix it...

Anybody?

Simple, find and fix the damaged wires/short circuit that blows the fuse. The tough part is finding, and no one can remote diagnose this problem for you.

Dig into it with a logical and methodical diagnostic process. Inspect and test both wire circuits. Or, it might be easier to pull a complete used wire harness from a junkyard XJ.

yeah, what he said. I bet you I could find the problem, but teaching someone to troubleshot electrics over the interwebs is difficult.

Also, it's such a PITA that it's so hard to find a good wiring diagram for an XJ. (if anyone knows where to download one, let me know...! I have all the FSM books save for the big one, unfortunately haven't found one for a good price yet.)

Use an ohm meter, power off, and see if one of the hot wires at the bulb is partly grounded.

Back