• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Red Rocket

bmikes

NAXJA Forum User
Alright alright alright! After a few months of debating back and forth, and after filling my taxes, I finally decided to leave the chop top and find a clean platform to build from.

After looking at a few rigs and keeping an eye on Craigslist, I finally came to get this little gem.

It's a '99, 4.0, aw4, 231, d30/8.25.
And only 174xxx miles.

First off, it's a late model. So now I join the cool club of cup holder guys :D

I decided to get an auto because I've never had one for a daily driver or a wheeler, and auto's make crawling look so much easier! Haha I wanted to try something new, so I figured why not?!

Here's a few pics. It's by far the cleanest engine I've seen in a jeep. The inside is pristine. The exterior has a little use on it, a few dents here, a little scrape there, nothing I won't add to with time :D

zazanu8y.jpg
uza4yva3.jpg
ymeheheh.jpg
qa3azemy.jpg
mu5y5ege.jpg
u3yre8e8.jpg
8asuhe7a.jpg

And.... A ridiculously low tow bar...
aqyruset.jpg

I've been thinking for a few days and still don't know what to call her yet, so I guess for now I'll just call it the red rocket :D

Yup, Brandon is gonna do some amazing things to this one..... I can just tell.
SO NO PRESSURE BUDDY!!!
DONT MUCK IT UP!!!

So you said your swapping axles huh? If you find yourself with and empty but straight d30 housing... Ill take it off your hands lol

Oh yea, welcome to club late model.

But on another note. Can we still call 97+ late models? since there is technically a latter model late model now.

Congrats on the new ride, Brandon. Sounds like an excellent platform for what you have in mind. Enjoy it!

Northwest Fest is only a few months away, get to work. :D

Haha oh believe me, I'll be ready!!! :D I have two projects I need to finish up in the garage before I start on any jeep related stuff, but after that it's on like donkey kong!

Thanks everyone! I'm gonna try not to muck it up!

Dave, once I get ready to put my stuff on, they will be coming off. So you're first in line! :D

Last edited:
Well I had sometime this evening to tear into the front end of the jeep today. It felt like it had a bent rotor or needed brakes or something because when I would stop it would act like it would catch, then let off, then catch, and do that.

Long story short, I got the drivers side torn down. The rotor was straight, pads still had plenty of material on them, the unit bearing checked out fine, and then.... I looked up....

There was almost an eighth inch between the C of the axle, and the top of the knuckle!!
edy8ynyr.jpg
sa3u5e5u.jpg
9uzyqaju.jpg

I tried tightening up the ball joint nuts, but they were extremely hard to tighten, defiantly more than the 75 ft/lbs that chilton recommends. So it looks like I won't be driving it until I swap over the drive train from my '93, or I buy ball joints for this axle.

Any chance you will be wanting to sell the axles shafts from your 8.25 29 spline in the new jeep? If so let me know, i need spares!

The one thing I want to do when I transfer all my parts over, is clock my transfer case up and install a cable shifter. I have the IRO clocking drill jig, I just need to buy the Novak np231 cable shift kit.

Here's the link to the jig
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...=IROR&Product_Code=IR-STCCDJ&Category_Code=UP

And this is the cable shifter
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np231.htm

I think on here or cherokeeforum there was a write up on how to make a transfer case linkage eliminator that would simplify it to just a single linkage that would allow for better shifting and such, it was also way cheaper than that one you posted and one that another company makes. Might look into that to save a few dollars. That is the route I'm taking.

I've seen in the Sierra chapter or SoCal that they have that clocking jig being passed around to allow their chapter the ability to clock their rigs, you could do something similar if you wanted after you clocked yours.

I'll have to look into that other shifter, thanks Larry. You wouldn't possibly have a link would ya? As for the jig, once I get mine done I wouldn't mind letting some other guys use it. Aaron is first inline already though :p

And sorry 90xjblue, the c8.25 from my 93 that I'm transferring over has the 29 spline shafts in it, so I'm going to keep them.

Any chance you will be wanting to sell the axles shafts from your 8.25 29 spline in the new jeep? If so let me know, i need spares!

DITTO!!!
I call dibbs on one of 'em!

Froelich Suspension technology sells them. Thats where I got mine, but apparently he is months behind on orders right now, so if I were you I would either make it myself, or wait a little while and see if his business goes under.

It works very well and is super simple! I copied the design for a couple buddies.

I like that write up from bsfab! I think I'll give that angry before dropping some mula on the Novak one.

90xjblue, you wouldn't happen to have pictures or a write up of yours do ya?

Back