• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise lights up, won't engage thou.

Jimmy T

NAXJA Forum User
While on a trip last night my cruise control quit working, It worked for the first half of my trip then nothing. The green light in the dash STILL lights up and will turn off and on, however the SET function of the switch will not work. What do I need to fix this? PLEASE HELP!!!

Brake switch is usually the culprit.

My brake lights still work, could it still be the brake switch? also ever since new the set side of the switch hasn't always worked on the first push, could I just need a new switch? I'm gonna try and put a voltmeter on it tomorrow. thanks for any help!!!!!!

It has always worked, maybe have to press the set button 2 or 3 times,
now nothing. It's a 98 sport. The set button feels different than the on /off button does when pressed also.

There is a hard vacuum line that goes forward from the cruise control module under the battery tray and down beside the radiator to the accumulator inside the front bumper. That vacuum line usually rots out under the battery tray and the cruise control won't work.

If there is break in the line, cut it clean and slip a piece of rubber hose that fits tightly over the cut section and your fixed.

The brake switch is a dual switch unit on a cruise control, so you brake lights may work but your cruise not.

The brake switch is a dual switch unit on a cruise control, so you brake lights may work but your cruise not.

Also good to note is the connector for the cruise portion is right over your toes on the brake pedal so if your foot slips it is easy to break the wire.

But in this case, since the light comes on, i would be more inclined to say vacumn leak. The light won't come on if a wire breaks.

I checked all vacuum lines today, no issues with any. I took a chance and took the cruise switch itself out and after taking it apart putting it back together it worked perfectly the first time, then nothing again, now it you press the switch extremely hard it will set the cruise. So I am just gonna get a new switch if possible.

Back