• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Wheel/Column Q

stackhousexj

NAXJA Forum User
I went and tore apart my steering column this morning to change my multifunction switch and I noticed this little electrical plug that I have no idea what it is for. It sits directly behind the steering wheel, it's round and it goes all the way around the column. Looks to be maybe a 7 or 8 pin connector? Maybe more, maybe less. I'll post a picture of the connector here in a couple minutes. I'm pretty sure it's not the clock spring, maybe it's the canceler for the turn signals?

a6u9ada9.jpg

What year is your jeep, you know it's kinda simple when you don't know what a plug is for, you look in the parts catalog? Now the big plug in the steering column, probably handles electrical stuff in there right? Like igniton, horn, wipers, cruise, windshield washer etc... Give us more info on the jeep (year, model and transmission)

I've searched around online and can't find anything. What it plugs in to doesn't even look like it does anything, I know it does something just wanna know what. The ring it hooks up to, you can move it around and turn it, who knows.

It's a 95 xj, automatic. Nothing special.

Thanks for any help,
Kyle

Unless you have controls on the steering wheel, ie. stereo or cruise, i would say it probly is the clockspring. Only thing else it could be is a vat module if your key has a chip, but iirc that wasn't till 96/97.

+1 for clockspring, speedcontrol horn etc, everything that is not in the turn signal. I'm referring to the parts catalog for 1995.. The turn signal cam is always pretty much the same through the models and has the long flat plug, and then the clockspring is in the steering wheel part and has different part numbers with or without speedcontrol, different 95 and 96 part number too.. It has to be that...

It's possible it don't do much on your particular truck!

Last edited:
Wow, I feel like a dumbass. I didn't even think about the cruise control. I don't have any radio controls in my steering wheel, and I could've sworn the clock spring was behind the air bag? Cruise control seems like the most logical.

Thanks foress and hesh!

Back