• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing radiator hoses

pipewrench

NAXJA Forum User
First off, I don't know when (or if) my 99 with 133k had a coolant flush.
The coolant is very nasty, pretty much black with lots of black debris, almost looks like the hoses are deteriorating from the inside.

My heater core is clogged and leaking so I will be bypassing it and installing a coolant filter this spring, at the same time I am going to install new hoses (upper, lower, and heater hoses. The latter will no longer be heater hoses and will be my coolant filter hoses)

I have read numerous threads on here about which coolant to use and everything but wanted to clarify which hoses work best...I read the parts store hoses don't have the spring in them but are designed to be okay without it. The last threads about using them didn't have any long term results in them.

So, to the guys that have used parts store hoses instead of mopar hoses, are you having good results? Should I go that route or by mopar hoses?
For replacing my heater hoses, I'm assuming any standard hose will be sufficient.

Like I said, this coolant looks terrible, I am already planning on having to do numerous flushes to clean it up, and may end up changing the radiator if I can't get it clean.

And by the way, I feel fairly confident this nasty coolant isn't from a bad head gasket, cracked head, etc. My oil cap is clean, oil looks good, coolant doesn't have traces of oil, no overheating, no smoking, no bubbling of coolant, etc.
Thanks in advance.

I use mostly carquest hoses, with no ill-effects. If your current oone has a spring, so install that into the new hose. Just the standard green coolant.

Advanced auto hoses. Haven't had a problem yet.

For heater core hoses I go to my local Napa. They sell it by the foot. It's super cheap.

You need 5/8" hose and 3/4" hose and a bunch of hose clamps. One of the lines is actually 11/16" but 3/4" works perfect. Just clamp it tight.

is this a new-to-you XJ? my initial thought is that a previous owner loaded the system with some kind of stop-leak product. old hoses will break down, but they will blow out long before putting that much crap into your system.
the clogged leaking heater core is the big red flag here.... maybe they tried to hide a leak so it could be sold.
use a chemical flush product to clean the crap out before replacing any hoses. your radiator might be clogged up too.

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes its new to me. I have found several things the previous owner wasn't honest about. It wouldn't surprise me if there's stop leak in it. I currently have three bottles of prestone coolant flush, I plan on using the extended flush how many ever times to get things cleared up, then change the hoses and add the coolant filter.

I'm hoping the radiator doesn't need replacing but I'm prepared if it is. I'll probably start ordering the hoses within the next week and start the flushing process soon after.

Back