• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking from under XJ when I let off the gas

acidcrashdburnd

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure what it could be but I wanted to brainstorm here. If I quickly let off the gas at 50+ mph I have a verbal THUNK that you can hear and feel. I was hoping it was U-Joints, any ideas?

it's either the ujoints on the rear driveshaft or the trans mount is bad.

i'd bet money on it being the trans mount though. put it in reverse and while sitting still pop your foot off the brake quick and then hit it again once you start moving. if you get the clunk it's the trans mount 99.9% of the time.

I second grimmjeepers recommendations. replace trans mount and U joints in the rear DS. 15$ a pop or less for U joints and trans mount around 25$.
if that doesn't do it , pop the cover off and make sure the rear end is not toast.

Don't rule out motor mounts. I had a clunk and it was the exhaust hitting the tranny crossmember due to engine rotation.

This jeep is 100% stock and will remain that way until repair all the small things with it and do the add floor pans mod. I do have a trans mount and two motor mounts in my pile of new parts to go on once its warmer. The clunk is near the rear of the jeep and will not do it if I ease off the gas. The Jeep had 246k on it now so I expect lots of things to be broken and that is why I only paid $500 for it. When I was pulling my parts Jeep a few nights ago the clunk was much more noticeable, almost startling. I was just trying to figure out if its the rear or UJoints I do have some of what I think to be driveline vibration from 45 to 70mph. This whole Jeep and RWD thing is new to me I have been working with Supercharged GM FWD cars up until this. Thanks for the replies so far!

Back