• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wireless under carriage cameras

JAlVl3Z

NAXJA Forum User
Here is a project that kept me busy for a while. Ive been hunting for a wireless video streamer and finally found 4ucam.com.

-2 front facing cameras with leds for night

-mounted onto xfer case skid and covered with 3/8ths inch steel plate

-cameras turn on with rear defrost switch. Meaning they turn off with key and dont turn back on till I hit the button again.

-Wired single momentary pulse to latched on/off output from brights. The cameras switch with a flash of the brights.

- sent to wireless transmitter from 4ucam.com

-finally runs to tablet on an app called Findoo Wifi. The app allows recording of pics and videos.
20140206_184238_zpsc58cff4b.jpg

20140206_183948_zps0e2f7f21.jpg

20140206_183807_zps7c7a866a.jpg

20140206_183745_zps8b547dbb.jpg

20140206_183720_zps96f393ca.jpg

That's pretty neat.
That website is so bad it could be made better with geocities.

Really cool idea. But your going to need a cam to see that your hung up on the cam skids.

This. I like the thought, but that is a terrible place to put the camera and an even worse skid plate to protect it.

Why not put the cam up where the top bolts are for the camera skid? That would make it flush with the higher part of your normal skid plate.

Unless you aren't wheeling in rocks, in which case you're fine.

Also, nice job on the dash. Do you have a remote screen running Android? Cuz that doesn't look like the aspect ratio of any tablet I've ever seen.

This. I like the thought, but that is a terrible place to put the camera and an even worse skid plate to protect it.

Why not put the cam up where the top bolts are for the camera skid? That would make it flush with the higher part of your normal skid plate.

I've never tried but I'm thinking the higher the camera the worse the camera angle for seeing what you're approaching.

Nice technology and a good job installing it.
Could be real handy for avoiding running over the family dog in the driveway, beyond that, I would just destroy it on a rock.

Nice technology and a good job installing it.
Could be real handy for avoiding running over the family dog in the driveway, beyond that, I would just destroy it on a rock.

I've run across a few situation without a spotter this summer and finally got some very good use out of it. I've smashed it on rocks more than used it lol. But that's a good sign.

Kinda seems like a solution for a problem that didn't really exist until you created the solution. Can you not have the cameras peek through those holes in the skid? Maybe widen them up a little. Would be a similar camera angle to what you have now, but actually be protected and not ruin your abilty to actually slide over the things you are looking at.

It sounds cool but its going to be a problem. The turning radius is not tight enough to avoid the rock once its under the vehicle. You need to pick you line about 20 feet (preferably a lot more) in front of the bumper to avoid getting hung up. Once the rocks are under the rig all the camera is going to do is tell you what you did wrong 30 feet back and what your hung up on. With very little practice you can feel what your hung up on (diff, shock mount, axle tube, etc) as soon as it happens without having to look down at a display. The underbody camera is no substitute for good line planning, a feel for your rig or most importantly a good spotter.

John

It sounds cool but its going to be a problem. The turning radius is not tight enough to avoid the rock once its under the vehicle. You need to pick you line about 20 feet (preferably a lot more) in front of the bumper to avoid getting hung up. Once the rocks are under the rig all the camera is going to do is tell you what you did wrong 30 feet back and what your hung up on. With very little practice you can feel what your hung up on (diff, shock mount, axle tube, etc) as soon as it happens without having to look down at a display. The underbody camera is no substitute for good line planning, a feel for your rig or most importantly a good spotter.

John

Eh, I think it'd be handy for those long rock gardens to see exactly where you are hung up. You aren't going to have a spotter all the time and can't look and remember every rock for 30 feet in front of you when the trail is a half mile long.

We'd usually run in small groups and nobody had a spotter, just a bunch of us driving. When I got hung up, I'd have to get out, see what I'm stuck on, then find a way around it. At least this would prevent you from having to get out of the Jeep, to see how to avoid a rock.

But yeah, I think I'd get hung up on the camera skid every 3 feet or so.

You guys look where you're going? Is that what I've been doing wrong all these years? :dunno:

I drive by braille also.

I like the idea, the dash is sweet, but that skid is a rock anchor.

You won't the picture angle if you simply drill some holes in the to part of your skid and mount it up there.

Eh, I think it'd be handy for those long rock gardens to see exactly where you are hung up. You aren't going to have a spotter all the time and can't look and remember every rock for 30 feet in front of you when the trail is a half mile long.

We'd usually run in small groups and nobody had a spotter, just a bunch of us driving. When I got hung up, I'd have to get out, see what I'm stuck on, then find a way around it. At least this would prevent you from having to get out of the Jeep, to see how to avoid a rock.

But yeah, I think I'd get hung up on the camera skid every 3 feet or so.

Sounds like rock creek at Rausch :) Gotta love the creek

It's a great idea but The cameras will allow you too see you are hung up on the camera skid probably every time. Get those things higher up somewhere so you don't have 2 giant boat anchors at your break over point

Unless you aren't wheeling in rocks, in which case you're fine.

Also, nice job on the dash. Do you have a remote screen running Android? Cuz that doesn't look like the aspect ratio of any tablet I've ever seen.

Stay out of mud, sand, water, snow, brush......ah heck...just about everything BUT rocks..... (or mall parking lots).

The 1 facing rear could be mounted on the tcase using some of the bolts that hold the rear cover of the front sprocket on

The front facing one could be set in the cross member to protect it and still show what you want.

Last edited:
I wonder where the vents that used to be there, ended up dumping to.

Last edited:
Back