• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wheel drive engagment

jeeptorino68

NAXJA Forum User
92, 4.0 AW4, 242.
seems like my 4 wheel drive was not engaged today even when i tried full time and part time, the rear seemed to be doing a lot of the work...there was like 3 to 4 inches of really sloppy snow/slush to push through...

prior to this snow storm my jeep had almost always made a slight ticking sound in 4wd (in 2wd it was very faint)
not the u joints i have changed those and the same noise.
not the hubs/unit bearings, i have changed those.
i do not have a vacuum disconnect.

so seems like maybe chain slipping? but it has always made that noise, maybe something like a pinion bearing, and it really was just the slush piles slowing me down?

what is the best way to tell if my 4wd is working properly and in full capacity?

T-case low on fluid?
I guess have someone outside looking at your vehicle. In 2wd floor it, check to make sure only rear spins. Then put in 4 and see if the fronts spin as well.

Remove rear drive shaft(put blocks on both front and rear of the front tires when doing this) an then put into 4 wheel and drive.This will tell if the case is working. Try this in 4 high not 4 low

went to a snowy parking lot, in 4x4 was able to turn and move fine...in 2wd could barely get going, so i think it is shifting fine, but i still doubt it is getting full power to the front, if the chain is slipping in 4wd would this make noise or not necessarily? seemed like when i needed it and was applying extra throttle the front wasnt giving me any help...

Back