• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MOOG Unit Bearing?

You did say "ever" I've had a pair in my 88 for around five years. I did have some issues when I first installed them. I torqued them to specification and those suckers would barley turn. I mean really stiff, I needed a pry bar to turn the hub. Loading up a bearing that much is unlikely to be good. I surmised the bearings weren't installed with the correct depth, torquing them to spec seated the bearing, but put an unacceptable side load on it. I torqued them down to spec, backed the suicide nut off a turn and retorqued to five under spec and could turn them by hand.

The OEM wheels studs are thicker near the base of the stud, the MOOG wheel studs were the same diameter all the way down. The diameter of the studs didn't match the diameter of the brake disc stud holes. Kind of left me wondering if the disc wouldn't eventually rock on the studs and cause some sort of wear. I eventually made some spacers (cut from some hardened tubing I had in the shop, axle tubing), so the disc holes and the studs matched up and were tight. I may have been over engineering the whole thing, the lug nuts may have applied enough pressure to keep the disc from rocking, but just in case I made those spacers.

They may have corrected these issues since I installed mine. Or they might still be pumping them out with the same old pieces and faulty specs.

Back