• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie '92 Build

bryanmcdan

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been after an XJ of my own for a while now,and the right time finally came! Got it for $900 with some engine work and a lift already on it (though both need a little work). Figured I might as well keep track of it all as it goes along. Let me know what you think or if you have any advice or questions. So far, I'm thinking of cutting off the back just behind the seat and doing a nice mini-bed on the back for a toolbox and a few other things, but do it similar to the H2 SUT folding rear hatch. Not quite as complicated as that, but something foldable. Also, it's sitting on 31" BFG's right now, but one's got a puncture and they're just there so it's got something safe to sit on instead of the unbelievably bad tires that were on it...I'll upload some pics of those things later. Hard to believe what some people will drive on.

As for the engine work already on it, this is what I've been able to nail down so far:
* .060" over Keith Black flat top pistons
* Lunati high lift flat tappet cam w matching valve springs
* head has been ported and polished, 3 angle valve job and block and head decked
* new rod and main bearings with forged rods, it's running about 11.5/1 compression
* 24 pound injectors from a 2000 Mustang GT
* Throttle body has been bored .020" over.

The only thing left computer controlled is the efi system the idle air and all that has been disabled...the intake runs in where the a/c box used to be, the dash is just a shell. Fuse box was relocated to under dash and the battery's under the back seat for now, but that's gonna change. Oh and the crank and rods are from a 4.2L ... calculated it all to be about 4.8 to 4.9L. I'm swapping out the front end either Monday night or Tuesday morning, along with the distributor cap and rotor, plugs and wires, and putting an exhaust on it (open header right now, which is causing some pretty obvious back pressure issues). Unfortunately, the last 2 owners weren't very smart and didn't take good care of it, but that's gonna change now. I went back through those owners to get in contact with the original owner and got the title from him (long story there, but he did all the work on it) along with some more info on what all he did to it. Long story short, I'm really happy and looking forward to putting some work into making it what I've wanted for so long. After the front axle and tune up comes the bed/lift gate decision and making a front bumper with some spare tubing. I'd be glad to hear any suggestions and I'll keep updating as I go. Now for some pics to make all those words worth it. :p

Stripped and washed the inside today

That's where it sits right now. More work to come over the next few days....consider this hello from the new guy in Sanford (Central Florida). I've got a few friends in the Orlando Jeep Club, but for anyone one here who lives in the area, drop me a line! Thanks for reading.

Sweet jeep! Nice project. Keep us posted. Thats pretty high compression. I love the sound of a high compression motor. My Mopar has a stroked 400 with 11.5:1. That thing is a beast.

Yeah highspeed, i got really lucky with that deal. And that is the motor that was in it when i bought it. Still at 11.5:1 and should be running strong as soon as i can find an exhaust. Got a PosiLock front end with the same gear ratio for $200 that i'm gonna swap in on tuesday along with a new distributor. The driver's side rear is locking up from time to time so i have to look at that, hopefully it won't mean getting a new rear too. Pics to come on tuesday!

Back