• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to Forum, AC/Heater Core question

ChippyDiesel

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, been browsing the NAXJA forum for a while looking for answers to various problems and have found a ton. This is a great forum with a lot of good info.

Anyways I'll cut to the chase. I have a 2001 XJ, recently while I'm driving I keep seeing "fog" coming from my ac vents while smelling the distinct smell of coolant. From what I have read I gather I have a bad heater core. The thing is, this is happening when I dont have the AC or heat on. My windshield continues to fog regardless of AC settings. My coolant levels are dropping and my interior continues to smell musky since the problem started. I have checked the carpet for dampness, none.

I guess my question is, should I go ahead and flush the heater core and hope for the best or does it sound like im screwed and need to replace it? Hopefully someone can chime in, Its not the end of the world if I have to bypass the heatercore, I live in Florida. should I attempt to bypass it and see if the problem goes away? Would that give me a pretty strong diagnosis of "bad/cracked heater core"?

There's an AC box drain line off the firewall, in the engine bay.

See if there are signs of coolant coming out of it. It could be draining outside, instead of on your floor board.

I had the AC evap and heater core changed on my 98. I mostly did it to fix an AC problem, but a tiny heater core leak was also found in the process. It was barely leaking, but it's days were numbered....

Bypass it and see if problem goes away. Quick and easy and not the end of the world for Florida as you say, although I would have said the same thing for SE Texas until this year.

Back