• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replace PCM (or bunch of cables)

Marcelo73

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having random troubles with the SKIM module.
I remove the cover under the wheel and depending if move a bunch of cables that go to the transponder antena, the SKIM light could flash quickly, flash, intermitent or turn off and I can start the rig.

Looking that cables they go to a white socket and there's one that is cut.

Nobody around here knows too much about this kind of car.

I'm thinking about 2 options:

1) replace the complete wires (however I don't know what part number is that)
2) replace the PCM and buy one without the SKIM module enabled.

I phoned one company that sells PCM and told me that there are differences between PCM for XJ for american market and foreign market (cost almost twice).
I don't understand why is that if they ask me the VIN, transmission type and miles. Is that right? Or I could install a new PCM of an XJ from USA?

Is there any manual that explains all the wires of the XJ? I have a couple of them but didn't find that.

TIA.

A quick word of advise. If you replace the PCM, be sure to remove the SKIM module prior to powering up the PCM. If it sees the module, you will be stuck again.

The differences in the PCMs are as follows:
49 State Emissions, standard transmission, automatic transmission.
California (low emission), standard transmission, automatic transmission.
Export Market, standard transmission, automatic transmission.

This is, for sure, for XJ from 97+

That being said, I sold my "spare" PCM to a fine fellow in Australia who had the SKIM issue. Word I got was that it worked just fine.

Given that the main differences are the emission programming, then one would expect to be able to run a "Domestic" PCM anywhere provided that the vehicle in question has the same emission hardware installed.

Some will argue that the transmission type does not matter. I can assure you and anyone else out there that is interested, the codes in the PCM are different. Most notably, the ignition curve is different. Plus incidentals such as the "shift" light for the manual transmission equipped XJs.

A quick word of advise. If you replace the PCM, be sure to remove the SKIM module prior to powering up the PCM. If it sees the module, you will be stuck again.

The differences in the PCMs are as follows:
49 State Emissions, standard transmission, automatic transmission.
California (low emission), standard transmission, automatic transmission.
Export Market, standard transmission, automatic transmission.

This is, for sure, for XJ from 97+

That being said, I sold my "spare" PCM to a fine fellow in Australia who had the SKIM issue. Word I got was that it worked just fine.

Given that the main differences are the emission programming, then one would expect to be able to run a "Domestic" PCM anywhere provided that the vehicle in question has the same emission hardware installed.

Some will argue that the transmission type does not matter. I can assure you and anyone else out there that is interested, the codes in the PCM are different. Most notably, the ignition curve is different. Plus incidentals such as the "shift" light for the manual transmission equipped XJs.

Thanks for the tip about disconnect the SKIM module.
In most of the places that sell PCM online they ask for the VIN, transmission type and miles. I know California is different to the rest of the states in emission (guns, etc :)). But I really don't know how much is the difference between the emission asked for the other 49 states and for export. In this 16 years the gas has changed, even here where most of the gas o diesel used to be garbage.

Back