• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is my d44 bent?

dubbleJ's

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I swapped in a 4.56 aussie locked xj dana44 a few months ago. I got it off a guy that flopped his xj...now it's got me wondering if it is bent as it sits forward in the passenger wheel well. The drivers side looks centered.

I also swapped in some brand new RE 5" leafs at the same time.

He had welded on some aftermarket leaf perches and I did notice that he did not have them perfect from one side to the other. One of them was spun a little more forward on the axle tube. Possibly that could be rotating the diff forward..?

What do you think could be the cause?

photo4_zps38ed7d67.jpg

He had welded on some aftermarket leaf perches and I did notice that he did not have them perfect from one side to the other. One of them was spun a little more forward on the axle tube.

big, obvious red flag right there

Find two straight boards, have a buddy hold one across the tire on one side while you hold one on the other side. Tape measure fron side to side right next to the tire at front and rear of tire.

Or sight down sides of rear tires and compare to edges of front tires.

Or have wheel alignment checked.

If both rear wheels point the same way, the axle is straight and the perches or springs are messed up.

Those leafs aren't the same length, end to center. It is possible to put them in backwards. You may have one with the short end in one way and the other the opposite.

It's raining outside so I'm not going to volunteer to go out and measure.:)

He had welded on some aftermarket leaf perches and I did notice that he did not have them perfect from one side to the other.

Another option is that some aftermarket perches have multiple holes (usually 3) so that you can move the axle forward and back. If that axle has them, it might be in the wrong hole.

Or, the bolt that holds the spring together and locates the axle has broken, allowing the axle to move forward.

Last edited:
Find two straight boards, have a buddy hold one across the tire on one side while you hold one on the other side. Tape measure fron side to side right next to the tire at front and rear of tire.

Or sight down sides of rear tires and compare to edges of front tires.

Or have wheel alignment checked.

If both rear wheels point the same way, the axle is straight and the perches or springs are messed up.

Thanks for the idea with the two straight edges! I measured it with a 4' level on each tire. 57 7/8" bang on front and back. Hoping that is solid enough to assume the diff isn't bent and it's most likely the poor perch placement.

Those leafs aren't the same length, end to center. It is possible to put them in backwards. You may have one with the short end in one way and the other the opposite.

It's raining outside so I'm not going to volunteer to go out and measure.:)

I was definitely rushing when I put these leafs in...2 hours before I was rolling away from my house with the XJ on a trailer bound for Moab!...but I did put them both in the right way. :)

Another option is that some aftermarket perches have multiple holes (usually 3) so that you can move the axle forward and back. If that axle has them, it might be in the wrong hole.

Or, the bolt that holds the spring together and locates the axle has broken, allowing the axle to move forward.

I will double check that we got them in the right hole....pretty damn sure we did but a very good point sir!

Thanks for the idea with the two straight edges! I measured it with a 4' level on each tire. 57 7/8" bang on front and back. Hoping that is solid enough to assume the diff isn't bent and it's most likely the poor perch placement.

I was definitely rushing when I put these leafs in...2 hours before I was rolling away from my house with the XJ on a trailer bound for Moab!...but I did put them both in the right way. :)

I will double check that we got them in the right hole....pretty damn sure we did but a very good point sir!
Listen for dolphin sounds, usually means its in the wrong hole!

Sounds like the perches aren't parallel to each other. The springs must be twisting when you bolt everything up. If you loosen everything up and tighten the passenger side first, the drivers side will be off.

are the perches the same design? i'd think the springs would be twisted quite a bit to move the axle that much if it was clocked too far. it should be obvious i'd think.
i'd drop the axle completely and measure and compare EVERYTHING. springs, perches, everything.

If it's not the wrong hole in the perch or a broken center pin then I would drop the axle (like Sidriptide suggested) and measure the distance from the front spring bolt to the center pin on both sides and compare.

About the perch that seems to be welded on wrong, could it be that maybe the axle tube has spun in the center cast part of the axle? Are you positive that these are aftermarket perches that have been welded on later, not from the factory? The reason I ask is why would he weld on aftermarket perches if it is a factory XJ Dana 44 that went into another XJ. I have a factory XJ Dana 44 and the perches are cast steel and welded on. I'm not sure if all of them are the same.

I think that if the axle is that far forward that it would not only be very obvious where it would be bent (if it is) by looking at it, but it would be binding like crazy.

are the perches the same design? i'd think the springs would be twisted quite a bit to move the axle that much if it was clocked too far. it should be obvious i'd think.
i'd drop the axle completely and measure and compare EVERYTHING. springs, perches, everything.

If it's not the wrong hole in the perch or a broken center pin then I would drop the axle (like Sidriptide suggested) and measure the distance from the front spring bolt to the center pin on both sides and compare.

About the perch that seems to be welded on wrong, could it be that maybe the axle tube has spun in the center cast part of the axle? Are you positive that these are aftermarket perches that have been welded on later, not from the factory? The reason I ask is why would he weld on aftermarket perches if it is a factory XJ Dana 44 that went into another XJ. I have a factory XJ Dana 44 and the perches are cast steel and welded on. I'm not sure if all of them are the same.

I think that if the axle is that far forward that it would not only be very obvious where it would be bent (if it is) by looking at it, but it would be binding like crazy.

Thanks guys, when you suggest measuring the leafs...center pin to bolt eye, are you suggesting the leaf springs maybe be slightly off in length and not the diff causing the problem?

Here's some shots of the perches. They look aftermarket to me, and whoever built them also notched the perches and moved the shock mounts up.

photo1_zps9d7c058b.jpg

photo3_zpsa9ef6606.jpg

photo4_zps0bd0a8a3.jpg

Excuse the rusty U-bolts...damn things are only 4 months old and barely wheeled.

your pics still dont show any kind of comparison from side to side, and they dont show anything blatantly obvious being wrong, get under there with a tape measure and measure everything. it shouldnt be too dificult to pinpoint the discrepancy that appears to be an inch or so. assuming your mounts are solid and equal on each side of the vehicle. it can only be a matter of the spring or the axle location on the spring being the problem.

post pics of both sides of the vehicle for a comparison.

your pics still dont show any kind of comparison from side to side, and they dont show anything blatantly obvious being wrong, get under there with a tape measure and measure everything. it shouldnt be too dificult to pinpoint the discrepancy that appears to be an inch or so. assuming your mounts are solid and equal on each side of the vehicle. it can only be a matter of the spring or the axle location on the spring being the problem.

post pics of both sides of the vehicle for a comparison.

Yea Ill grab some more pictures to try and narrow down the issue here forsure. I was more taking those ones to make sure those were indeed aftermarket perches

Whatever happened with this? Inquiring minds want to know.

Back