• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking for a little input on my build

kippo1

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I got a 1998 xj with 130000 miles on it everything works the guy had a 4.5 rc lift with spring packs and upper or lower control arms. I havent even opened the boxes yet. Got it for 1500 so I was pretty happy.

I will use it as a daily driver and weekend to a cpl week long camping trips. No real rock crawling.

My initial thoughts are this.

put the lift on
sye
tires
regear it
lockers
Bumpers
winch
monsta line the whole thing.

Ok questions.

should I go with a long arm upgrade or just build adjustable upper and lwr control arms?

31 x 10.5 or 33 x 10.5 tire? Im going with a aggresive at tire.

Build some sliders and a roof rack.

on board air.

Fix a few things like oil leaks and such

what else should I look at doing or stay away from?

If your going g to add it long arms will make it ride nicer. And if your going g to regear anyway I'd go with 33. 31s with a 4.5 lift will look too small.

It looks like your on the right track.

So long arms actually ride better? I didnt know this.

Yes it has to do with the shallow angle the longer arms create. Which helps transfer the force of impacts/bumps your tire sees into the springs rather than straight into or up the arm and into the body.

You could also do drop brackets. But long arms are generally better.

Please don't cover the whole thing in bed-liner. It generally looks terrible.

Well the clear coat is peeling bad on front end and sme of the areas I hunt get branches and small trees dragging down the vehicle so a paint jop is out of the question. I just cant justify spending money on base and clear to scratch it all up. I have the gun and paint booth so I can do either or but it will be the last part of the build.

Yes it has to do with the shallow angle the longer arms create. Which helps transfer the force of impacts/bumps your tire sees into the springs rather than straight into or up the arm and into the body.

You could also do drop brackets. But long arms are generally better.

Makes perfect sense. So long arm it is .

Well the clear coat is peeling bad on front end and sme of the areas I hunt get branches and small trees dragging down the vehicle so a paint jop is out of the question. I just cant justify spending money on base and clear to scratch it all up. I have the gun and paint booth so I can do either or but it will be the last part of the build.

Sounds like a satin finish is your friend.

Ok my 8.25 has a limited slip. Whats the most cost effective way of getting a locker in there? Get a open diff and slap a lunch box locker in or ?

I was thinking about arb but that would be 2g just in the lockers. Been looking for diffs someone already put gears and lockers in but in my area thats rare.

A buddy of mine and one of the founders of NAXJA (Grant) did the bed liner on his old rig back when NAXJA was a list not a forum. It held up pretty good for several years. He did a two tone with the dividing line in the shape of a mountain range. I thought it looked cool and it sure took a lot of abuse.

Check in the vender sale section. (For anything not just gears) They are all supporters of this forum. Rwkhaus has always give me great deals and answered my questions promptly.

Rwkhaus....I spent some time last night searching and reading diff post. Im calling rwkaus today to see about my best route on rear locker.

After I get all the parts in ill be doing a build thread.

Ready to get all my parts ordered.

I will use it as a daily driver and weekend to a cpl week long camping trips. No real rock crawling.

OK. If this is your sole purpose , I would leave the stock gears and go 31s and a front lunchbox and call it good.
Consider a rear locker after some of your wheeling /light camping and see if it really even needs 2 lockers.

Do some sliders and skids . roof rack is a good idea.
Get a decent 60$ air compressor.
get a tow strap.
grab good steering and a good trackbar. Don't run the RC trackbar.
steering box braces and track bar bracing.
stiffeners.

Slap the cheap RC lift on there. Don't worry about a SYE if you are just doing light wheeling/camping, if you get vibes dial in the pinion angle (shims) to the tcase output angle (not DS angle)

winch and winch bumper can be done further down the line.

Please don't bed line the whole thing. People stare alright, thats for sure. They will probably make nice comments only because they have no idea what else to say.

if you end up needing it, then regear after a year of use as is , at that point rehear for 33s not 31s.

I would save long arms for dead last.

I agree. Most people that have never wheeled an XJ are quite surprised how capable they are with just a mild lift on 31's. If you're not going to get into anything extreme at first, save the extra cash that would be spent on larger tires & regearing and use it for lunchbox lockers and armor. You'll be impressed with what it will do.

4.5 and 31s dont look bad at all. if you remove your flares it starts to look a little bit silly. and i agree id just run a locker on the front first. Will pull you up obstacles and pull you in the direction you want to go. For paint just use a tough tractor paint, and then you can easily touch it up.

hey i got a 89 xj to start i pulled the renix engine out,and putting a 94 ho in its place
im rebuilding the front end shocks spring seals getting rid of the vacuum lock for the 4wd and getting cable lock i still gotta replace the ball joints... so my jeep has the b/a 10 tranny which i heard was weak... WHAT WOULD BE THE TRANSMISSION TO REPLACE IT WITH ... i gootas replace the clutch so im debating whether i should get a stock clutch or get stronger one do to its longer life span ... has anyone ever done a renix to obd1 swap...

Back